Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 12:02 PM

Unusual Chocolate Cake

Morning everyone, just been reading an article in Femail Magazine in the Daily Mail and intrigued. Maybe some of you have already used the ingredient but not me! never heard of it before but may well do again. here below what I read....

THE SECRET INGREDIENT TO PERFECT CAKE? MAYO !

It's perfect for prawn cocktails, coleslaw and salads, but apart from pepping up a plate of chips, mayonnaise can seem redundant once summer is over.

Yet you could use it to make an unbelievably moist, fudgy, absolutely delicious chocolate cake.

Just mix together
10 ounces of self-raising flour
8 ounces of caster sugar
1.1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
7 ounces of mayonnaise
then add 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder dissolved in 8fl oz boiling water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Place a 7 inch greased and lined cake tin and bake at gas mark 4/180c for 30-40 minutes.

Once cool, top with chocolate buttercream and ask your friends to guess what your secret is.

The main ingredients in mayonnaise are eggs, olive oil, lemon and vinegar. perfect for the perfect cake.

Mmmm, sounds good to me, I think I will add this one to my cake recipes and give it a whirl next time I make a chocolate cake. What do you think about adding mayo?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 12:10 PM

Re: Unusual Chocolate Cake

Been putting Mayo in since the early eighties ! Thought everyone did makes a nicer moister cake.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 12:53 PM

I like the sound of the cake SG, I don't often make cakes but would like to have a go at this one. Will see if I can copy it for later.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Been putting Mayo in since the early eighties ! Thought everyone did makes a nicer moister cake.
Good on you Julie, that recommendation from someone that has always used Mayo is definitely a winner for me to try it out. With me I'm afraid it's always been the tried and tested 4 ounces of everything and 2 eggs and if making a chocolate cake half the flour and half cocoa powder.
I've tried many other recipes but he who must obey always says "why don't you just stick to your usual way of making your cake cos it always tastes great!" his unsubtle but polite way of saying the cake I made with the new recipe tastes crap!! hence my reluctance to ever try new recipes. However, this one, as Val J kindly agrees with me, does sound very nice so will definitely give it a go and hope for the best.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Morning everyone, just been reading an article in Femail Magazine in the Daily Mail and intrigued. Maybe some of you have already used the ingredient but not me! never heard of it before but may well do again. here below what I read....

THE SECRET INGREDIENT TO PERFECT CAKE? MAYO !

It's perfect for prawn cocktails, coleslaw and salads, but apart from pepping up a plate of chips, mayonnaise can seem redundant once summer is over.

Yet you could use it to make an unbelievably moist, fudgy, absolutely delicious chocolate cake.

Just mix together
10 ounces of self-raising flour
8 ounces of caster sugar
1.1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
7 ounces of mayonnaise
then add 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder dissolved in 8fl oz boiling water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Place a 7 inch greased and lined cake tin and bake at gas mark 4/180c for 30-40 minutes.

Once cool, top with chocolate buttercream and ask your friends to guess what your secret is.

The main ingredients in mayonnaise are eggs, olive oil, lemon and vinegar. perfect for the perfect cake.

Mmmm, sounds good to me, I think I will add this one to my cake recipes and give it a whirl next time I make a chocolate cake. What do you think about adding mayo?
I am probably the only person on the planet who can't stand chocolate cake - but - will give it try with a coffee cake and see what happens!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good on you Julie, that recommendation from someone that has always used Mayo is definitely a winner for me to try it out. With me I'm afraid it's always been the tried and tested 4 ounces of everything and 2 eggs and if making a chocolate cake half the flour and half cocoa powder.
I've tried many other recipes but he who must obey always says "why don't you just stick to your usual way of making your cake cos it always tastes great!" his unsubtle but polite way of saying the cake I made with the new recipe tastes crap!! hence my reluctance to ever try new recipes. However, this one, as Val J kindly agrees with me, does sound very nice so will definitely give it a go and hope for the best.
Just realised it was a delia smith recipe I got it from.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Right, I'm off to the kitchen and I may be gone for quite some time...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-09-2016, 04:17 PM

ahhh, the terrific Delia. I have never made a Rice Pudding in my life, (too busy working) but loved the look of her "old fashioned rice pudding" recipe. So off I toodled to Morrisons and got all the ingredients required. Started to make it and I got from he who must obey "Ugh, don't put any nutmeg in Rice Pudding for me, can't stand the stuff." terrific start!
followed Delia's instructions to the tee (minus the essential nutmeg) and served it up half an hour after we had our dinner. I thought it tasted lovely and creamy. "Well, what do you think of it?" asks I, "To be honest I still prefer my tinned Ambrosia Creamed Rice" says him.

Very tempted to tip the lot over him.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Oh I don't blame you ! He might have been picking it out of his hair for a week if he'd been here

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top