Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:49 AM

Re: Aldi or Lidl

My opinion is a bit irrelevant here as we don't have the second choice Lidle?. BUt I don't shop at ALDI even though it's a 5 minute drive away from home. I know it's cheap but you get what you pay for and we find it's very much pot luck there. Sometimes their stuff is OK but often it's really not much good. I'd rather pay more and get really good quality stuff. Coles and Woolworths are the big ones here. They have huge delicatessen, fresh fruit and veg, fresh meat and seafood sections which ALDI doesn't have. Not here at least.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:52 AM

Keezoy is that the same Woolworths we used to have here? I remember seeing one in the US but didn't realise they had them in Australia. You mention they do food? is it a different company?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:05 AM

Hi Annie.

I lifted this straight from Wikipedia. No it's not the same company.

Woolworths Group is a major Australian company with extensive retail interest throughout Australia and New Zealand. It is the second largest company in Australia by revenue, after Perth-based retail-focused conglomerate Wesfarmers,[2] and the second largest in New Zealand.[3] In addition, Woolworths Group is the largest takeaway liquor retailer in Australia,[4] the largest hotel and gaming poker machine operator in Australia,[4] and was the 19th largest retailer in the world in 2008.[5]

Despite similar names, Woolworths Group has no affiliation with the F.W. Woolworth Company in the United States, the now-defunct Woolworths Group in the UK or the South African chain of retail stores, Woolworths Holdings Limited. Its main operations include supermarkets (under the Woolworths brand in Australia and the Countdown brand in New Zealand), liquor retailing (as BWS and Dan Murphy's in Australia), hotels and pubs under the Australian Leisure and Hospitality Group (ALH Group) umbrella, and discount department stores under the Big W name in Australia.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:14 AM

I have an Aldi a walk away and a Lidl a drive away.

The Lidl I visited once, when it opened, but I now give it a miss because it's on a main road at a busy junction and is much used by the "incomers".

The Aldi I have visited several times - the choice of specific brands may be limited but, for those on a limited budget, own-brands proliferate and are, according to Which? magazine, terrific value for money - the customers tend to be those filling a trolley for a family. My infrequent visits tend to be of the "browse" nature and "buys" tend to be impulse ..... a sandwich here, a shirt there and some frozen mushrooms.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:18 AM

We sometimes go in the Aldi because the BH's mum likes stuff from there.They have a sneaky way of passing their own goods off as well known brands by using a similar name and packaging.There seem to be quite a lot of product recalls too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 08:25 AM

You have to give it to Aldi's Tech Guys, their Barcode Scanners hit the mark each time, every time, saves you minutes of your life queuing, to waste in other ways of your own designation.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:09 AM

I shop in Lidl mostly.

Their meat IMO,is far better than Sainsburys ,Tesco...so is their fruit n veg.

The only time I shop in waitrose,Tesco,Sainsburys ,...is when I can't get the ingredients from Lidl.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Hi

Lidl, the staff are lovely.

Fruit and veg is always good, as they have such a high turnover.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Funnily enough I went to Aldi for the first time yesterday. Their Christmas pudding came top of all choices tested on Rick Stein's programme so I thought I'd buy one. Looks delicious, plus their almond mince pies (mince pies not being a particular favourite of mine) also look very appetising - but you've gotta buy these things haven't you? I also bought a large bar of their dark hazelnut chocolate, can't recall the price but it was less than £2 and that too is lovely and not too sweet.

the only downside for me is their lack of other items that I usually buy, but overall I'd recommend it for staple stuff. Never been to Lidl as there isn't one close to me.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:17 AM

We googled up an Aldi recently, and paid them a visit, was told they had a good line in coffee capsules for our newly acquired Nespresso machine. Then we discovered Lidl do better ...

And there are a couple of Lidls closer

£1.50 for a box of 10

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top