Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 10:20 AM

New programmes tonight

Hmmm....perhaps this is not quite the correct title for the Thread but I couldn't think of anything better

THE REPAIR SHOP; FIXING BRITAIN BBC1, 4-30

I think the BBC have been caught out or surprised by the success and popularity of The Repair Shop series
If you haven't seen it, members of the public bring all kinds of old items with sentimental value for repair - furniture, paintings, pottery, toys & dolls

There is a discussion about each item, then it follows the repair & restoration leading to the return of the finished item to the owners
There is no fancy presentation or background music, just the interest and pleasure of seeing experts at work

This evening goes into more detail about the history and background of the items
I don't quite know what to expect, but if it follows the same sort of format it should be interesting and easy to watch

YORKSHIRE WALKS BBC 4, 7-00

The presenter goes for a walk through the Yorkshire countryside, making her own comments and observations

Some people have described this as pointless and boring. I suppose it depends
I like it because it's easy to watch, pleasant, and you see other people's points of view

Alright, these have been shown before, on BBC 2 I think, so they're repeats, but I'll watch them again
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 03:58 PM

Re: New programmes tonight

The Repair Shop - this has to be the 3rd or 4th time this has been on so I won't be watching it again even if the Beeb has managed to add a few minutes of new filming to existing stuff to make a"new" programme.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 05:55 PM

Yes, I was a bit disappointed; it is more or less a re - hash of the same programmes

There is a bit more on the general history of each sort of item, but not much
I was expecting more details of the repair techniques, and hopefully some new items

This is a shame as it is a good idea and well made, but they've stretched it too far
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 11:56 PM

Watched a bit of it. They seem to have got rid of the old fella (was he the butler in Downton Abbey??) who does the voiceover.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Watched a bit of it. They seem to have got rid of the old fella (was he the butler in Downton Abbey??) who does the voiceover.
No. They've used 2 actors to do the voice overs, one was Bill Patterson. Can't remember who the other one was now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top