Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:10 AM

Re: Ladybird

I wish you would have posted those illustrations of Ladybirds last week Tiff...There was a question on 'Pointless' where the contestants had to name three species of of either; Butterflies, Bees, or Ladybirds...They didn't win the jackpot, and neither would I have....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I wish you would have posted those illustrations of Ladybirds last week Tiff...There was a question on 'Pointless' where the contestants had to name three species of of either; Butterflies, Bees, or Ladybirds...They didn't win the jackpot, and neither would I have....
I saw that program & got it wrong too, I thought there was a 4 spot, there isn't.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I saw that program & got it wrong too, I thought there was a 4 spot, there isn't.
We'll see if we can do any better this week Tiff....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta;1932494[B
]They like my washing when it's hung on the line.
[/B]
Although not as many this year, they are around here, but more of the darker coloured ones (no idea the name of them).
Perhaps they are seeking water on your washing Pesta.
I remember back in 1976, when the weather was so hot, that I & my neighbours had a few quite painful bites from ladybirds . We were told that they were needing fluid...... but I don't know if that is true!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-07-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Perhaps they are seeking water on your washing Pesta.
I remember back in 1976, when the weather was so hot, that I & my neighbours had a few quite painful bites from ladybirds . We were told that they were needing fluid...... but I don't know if that is true!
I felt a prick on my leg one day while I was out doing the garden Twink, when I looked down, it was a Ladybird, I didn't even know they bite... I do now though!...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I felt a prick on my leg one day while I was out doing the garden Twink, when I looked down, it was a Ladybird, I didn't even know they bite... I do now though!...
They don't really bite, they are after the sweat on your skin. Some years ago there was a population explosion of ladybirds & a lot of people had them doing this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35603972
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:39 PM

They don't really bite, they are after the sweat on your skin. Some years ago there was a population explosion of ladybirds & a lot of people had them doing this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35603972
Bite or not Tiff, you certainly felt them do it! I thought I had been stung till i saw the ladybird on my arm, but the pain disappeared when it flew away! My husband thought I was mad, till the neighbours reported similar bites.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

12-07-2020, 12:56 PM

Bite or not Tiff, you certainly felt them do it! I thought I had been stung till i saw the ladybird on my arm, but the pain disappeared when it flew away! My husband thought I was mad, till the neighbours reported similar bites.
I remember that plague of them in 1976. Any we found were given water & then they flew off once they drank it. I had water out for the birds anyway.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

12-07-2020, 01:19 PM

I remember that plague of them in 1976. Any we found were given water & then they flew off once they drank it. I had water out for the birds anyway.
Don't laugh! After realizing they needed water I was afraid they may drown in a bowl of water, so I found a soup bowl with a lip & filled it with water so they could sit on the edge & still get a drink. I wasn't sure if they could float or swim & I didn't want any to die!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

12-07-2020, 07:03 PM

Don't laugh! After realizing they needed water I was afraid they may drown in a bowl of water, so I found a soup bowl with a lip & filled it with water so they could sit on the edge & still get a drink. I wasn't sure if they could float or swim & I didn't want any to die!
Sorry, I did laugh. It's not happened since & I guess the horrid Harlequins are getting the better of them now. If I see one of those, I kill it, irrational I know, but I do the same to False Widow spiders too, if they come in the house.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top