Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Re: Losing gardening skills

Originally Posted by jon ->
lovely photos of your grandchildren meg , just one thing be careful with the soil i saw a programme the other week how a woman was gardening , touch her eye with her dirty fingers & within 24 hrs had a bacteria go in her eye that multiplied at such a rate her eye had become virtually closed & it was eating her skin away ,
she was rushed into hospital & nearly lost her eye , ... i was like you let my granddaughter dig but not now .... there's lots of germs in the soil that we cant see
Holy cow! I wish my eyes were closed right now. Reading your post is going to give me nightmares for a month!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Re: Losing gardening skills

Originally Posted by jon ->
lovely photos of your grandchildren meg , just one thing be careful with the soil i saw a programme the other week how a woman was gardening , touch her eye with her dirty fingers & within 24 hrs had a bacteria go in her eye that multiplied at such a rate her eye had become virtually closed & it was eating her skin away ,
she was rushed into hospital & nearly lost her eye , ... was like you let my granddaughter dig but not now .... there's lots of germs in the soil that we cant see
Jon I think that is nonsense
There are dangers everywhere you can't avoid them all your life.
Children need to come into contact a few germs to build a resistance to infection.
They also need to live life to the full not be wrapped in cotton wool and kept in a box.

My grandchildren attend a school where even the tiny reception class go to 'Forest School' once a week and play in the woods/sit around a camp-fire and cook food on sticks /get plastered in mud they are no strangers to a bit of muck.
They learn about trees and flowers and being self reliant and they are very happy children

My grandaughter is the one in the stream dressed in pink

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top