Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Re: 50 meg internet

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Ours was all done overhead, a cable about an inch thick was linked from house to house
Originally Posted by Jem ->
. I got a look at a cross section of the cable and there must be over a hundred different wires in it. I think a Polish company did the work and the whole area was finished in a few weeks, no one was inconvenienced during the work.
We have a junction box on the side of our corner house and we get an allowance for that, it's deducted from the monthly bill.

When the 'Virgin' man came to do the phone line, he said Virgin didn't do any overhead cables, everything was underground.
My present computer cable goes underground, from the pavement, under my front flowerbed, then I think it is fixed low down all along the low wall leading up to the house.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 10:37 AM

I've heard some horror stories - broken water pipes - cut electricity wires - underground subsidence.

If I were you Mups I would stock up on all essentials now whilst you have the chance else you might not be able to drive the car anywhere owing to the terrible road conditions.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[B]

When the 'Virgin' man came to do the phone line, he said Virgin didn't do any overhead cables, everything was underground.
My present computer cable goes underground, from the pavement, under my front flowerbed, then I think it is fixed low down all along the low wall leading up to the house.
Well there's a strange coincidence Mups, today the cable TV bill arrived and when I looked at it it had ‘Virgin’ on the envelope, I says to the missus that we have no dealings with Virgin and she said “We have now, they have just taken over from NTL, I got a letter stating that last week” (I notice the letters are never passed onto me, only the bills) So it seems we are now with Virgin whether we like it or not.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 10:44 PM

Good job your missus keeps you in hand Jem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-10-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I've heard some horror stories - broken water pipes - cut electricity wires - underground subsidence.

If I were you Mups I would stock up on all essentials now whilst you have the chance else you might not be able to drive the car anywhere owing to the terrible road conditions.

Shut up Mark, I aint taking any more notice of anything you tell me after you fibbing the other day!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 04:30 PM

Can anyone tell me what to expect when they put this extra fast broadband on around here please?
Yep. Expect that they will offer you more expensive tariffs for the faster service

Please keep any explanation simple and idiot-proof -I don't have a technical head!
Simply put, your broadband cable runs into a local exchange office where up till now a chair leg has been sitting on the cable making it hard and slow for the data to squeeze through. When you pay the extra money they remove the chair and the data gets through faster.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 05:49 PM

[B]

We don't have our phone line with Virgin, we have TV and Broadband but everything else was done just the same as you mentioned, cable under the soil down side of flower bed and small box fitted on the wall.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-10-2015, 11:19 PM

That's it Marj, mine sounds just the same.
Just found out it will all be done around here during November.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top