Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Re: Sugar overload

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I totally disagree with you that cutting out sugar won’t make an apeth of difference to anyone on this forum provided they are not obese to start with but I’m not going to argue the point.
Good point.

If you are over weight you have a good chance of getting type 2 Diabetes and nothing to do with your sugar intake.

Just means you are an over weight fat slob
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Good point.

If you are over weight you have a good chance of getting type 2 Diabetes and nothing to do with your sugar intake.

Just means you are an over weight fat slob
Caused by laziness and ignorance.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What difference has sugar made to you Bratti and Roxy? And are either of you Type 2 diabetic?

I'm truly interested.....
I find not having sugar in my tea/coffee has altered my taste. Now I actually know how different they both taste, before they were just hot sweet liquid. I also know the difference not having sugar or salt cooked in with meals makes, all I taste is the natural taste of what I have cooked and find I really like the taste better without. My weight came down a good bit, not suddenly but slowly and it has stayed off. I no longer get sweet cravings. A few years ago I was borderline diabetic but not anymore, so cutting out sugar and salt has been good for me.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I find not having sugar in my tea/coffee has altered my taste. Now I actually know how different they both taste, before they were just hot sweet liquid. I also know the difference not having sugar or salt cooked in with meals makes, all I taste is the natural taste of what I have cooked and find I really like the taste better without. My weight came down a good bit, not suddenly but slowly and it has stayed off. I no longer get sweet cravings. A few years ago I was borderline diabetic but not anymore, so cutting out sugar and salt has been good for me.
Thanks Roxy I appreciate your reply, and you make some very valid points. I believe you have participated in the exercise thread describing your love of swimming. Did you swim before you were diagnosed as borderline diabetic or did you start swimming as a result of your diagnosis? As Floydy has explained in an earlier post, the main reason for the cause of type two diabetes is lack of exercise. Sugar gets deposited as fat if the energy created is not used which results in high blood pressure and obesity.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Great post Roxy. I have the same experience with sugar.
Sugar increases blood sugar which can react like an addictive substance , giving highs and lows in moods and energy levels. If you cave into the cravings of sugar put you on a roller coaster ride and while it’s true that glucose fuels the brain, it’s also true that the body can convert any food to glucose for the brain if limits are depleted and sugar also contributes to bacteria and fungus problems like candida , alrhletrs foot, seborrhoea dermatitis, eczema so sugar DOES have a direct impact on health.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:21 AM

Sugar needs to be taken with amounts of fibre to ensure it is metabolised slowly otherwise it is transformed into fat.

Sugar isn't DIRECTLY causing obesity but imho it is causing it INDIRECTLY.

Lots of people are ignorant of where all the hidden sugars are in supermarket products and they don't do their own research and naively believe the currently accepted "advice" from the media. Hence fat people looking to lose weight may think that Natural Yoghurt is a good healthy thing whereas in truth it has lots of sugars and no fibre. They may think orange/apple juice is healthy, full of Vitamin C but it is horrendously laden with sugars and little to no fibre.

The real problem then is that many people are ingesting large quantities of sugars through not properly looking at product labels and they are then suffering the after effects.

I truly don't believe obese people are sitting there all day eating cream cakes.

What I believe is happening is they are eating/drinking bad products inadvertently which contain high amounts of hidden sugars.

The sugar doesn't make them fat.

However the sugar gives them the false high, which is followed by the inevitable crash.

Sugar fools the brain and makes you feel hungry when in fact your body is not the least bit hungry.

Those false hunger pangs result in people reaching for snacks of all kinds, or to simply just eat more ordinary foods.

It is THAT increase in eating, that causes the obesity.

Sugar isn't making them fat, but it IS creating the false hunger pangs which causes people to subsequently eat vast quantities of food that their bodies have no need for. IMHO.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Sugar needs to be taken with amounts of fibre to ensure it is metabolised slowly otherwise it is transformed into fat.

Sugar isn't DIRECTLY causing obesity but imho it is causing it INDIRECTLY.

Lots of people are ignorant of where all the hidden sugars are in supermarket products and they don't do their own research and naively believe the currently accepted "advice" from the media. Hence fat people looking to lose weight may think that Natural Yoghurt is a good healthy thing whereas in truth it has lots of sugars and no fibre. They may think orange/apple juice is healthy, full of Vitamin C but it is horrendously laden with sugars and little to no fibre.

The real problem then is that many people are ingesting large quantities of sugars through not properly looking at product labels and they are then suffering the after effects.

I truly don't believe obese people are sitting there all day eating cream cakes.

What I believe is happening is they are eating/drinking bad products inadvertently which contain high amounts of hidden sugars.

The sugar doesn't make them fat.

However the sugar gives them the false high, which is followed by the inevitable crash.

Sugar fools the brain and makes you feel hungry when in fact your body is not the least bit hungry.

Those false hunger pangs result in people reaching for snacks of all kinds, or to simply just eat more ordinary foods.

It is THAT increase in eating, that causes the obesity.

Sugar isn't making them fat, but it IS creating the false hunger pangs which causes people to subsequently eat vast quantities of food that their bodies have no need for. IMHO.
Good post Realist.
That’s correct.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Ihave to say I love fresh orange juice squeezed straight from the fruit.
It is sweet but it's so delicious.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Excellent post Realist and put far better than I ever could...

I also agree with your post Bratti, however, it's not so black and white as you suggest. Your summing up of the effects of sugar are quite correct when eaten in large amounts.

As Realist has pointed out though, if taken with fibre or protein the body does not absorb the simple sugars as quickly and therefore avoids the spikes in blood sugar that you mention.

When I said that a little sugar wouldn't make an apeth of difference to most of the folks on here I was referring to the average poster who has lived to at least sixty and have retained a reasonably slim and healthy body thus far. They must have been doing something right for the last sixty years, and the odd spoonful of sugar in ones tea, or the occasional 'Mars Bar' will not make an apeth of difference.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Good post Realist.
That’s correct.
Only because it's stating the obvious. Sugar is present is almost all manufactured foods. Again, we were told absolutely nothing we cannot work out by ourselves.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top