Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:12 PM

Re: Shower recommendations needed

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
It was just a thought as yes, mine does take longer, the pipe runs are longer but I still find it's OK. Previously the hot water had to come either direct from the immersion heater upstairs or from the boiler downstairs, this also depended on those being turned on. Now it comes direct from the boiler which is still downstairs. The difference, although still noticeable, I don't find is really a problem. No idea of how this would be for a shower I have to admit. Once the hot water reaches the bath or basin taps that should be constant until they are turned off, the same with the shower while it's working. My shower is an electric one which has been working OK for over ten years now so as yet I've not had that problem. The only thing with electric showers now apparently, so I've been told, is that 'power showers' are no longer available as they use too much water.
I get confused with all the terminolgy. As far as I know, the electric shower I have isn't a "power shower". I would love to have a shower with more pressure and more water. When I go away, almost every hotel I go to has a much better rate of flow than my shower gives. But one person will say buy a water pump and the next says don't! A 10.5 Kw shower needs 1.5 bar pressure which is 11 litres per minute and I've tested the flow from my shower and it is just about 11 litres pm, but that's using cold water. When the hot is turned on the flow reduces! I just take the advice from my plumber and hope for the best!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I get confused with all the terminolgy. As far as I know, the electric shower I have isn't a "power shower". I would love to have a shower with more pressure and more water. When I go away, almost every hotel I go to has a much better rate of flow than my shower gives. But one person will say buy a water pump and the next says don't! A 10.5 Kw shower needs 1.5 bar pressure which is 11 litres per minute and I've tested the flow from my shower and it is just about 11 litres pm, but that's using cold water. When the hot is turned on the flow reduces! I just take the advice from my plumber and hope for the best!
Not being a heating engineer or plumber I do the same. The chap who installed my new central heating system mentioned about not getting hot water instantly and he was right. When you think about it most of us wait for the hot water, let it run and then add cold to make the temperature acceptable to us. All I do is let the water run, cold at first, but instead of letting it run away down the drain I use that first to cool the following really hot water, this achieves the same result.

As for 'power showers' no long being available I was told that by an electrician who does have some knowledge of heating systems. Had a quick search and couldn't find a definite answer as to them no longer being available, links below make no mention of that at all, perhaps he was wrong? Some information on them though that you may find useful:

https://www.thewhirlpoolbathshop.com...the-difference

https://www.bathstore.com/buyers-gui...hould-i-choose
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Is a hot water system shower better if you don't have a combi? Or is it just for combi households?
Some combi-boilers aren't up to the task depending on your incoming water pressure. As the shower will be fed from two sources (hot and cold), the flow of hot water could be reduced making you having to slow the flow of water down at the shower head just to get it warm.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 08:27 PM

If you are going to replace your electric shower, I would be tempted to find out the size of the cable that is used to supply it with. For 10kW, the cable should be at least a 10mm twin and earth cable. Anything less and I would go for a maximum 9.5kW. The Triton range of showers are very good, and most can be modified to fit with existing plumbing and electrics.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 09:45 PM

A power shower is when the hot water comes off your hot water cylinder the water if feed from the loft which is low pressure.

A power shower can not be used if your shower is feed of the Mains.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some combi-boilers aren't up to the task depending on your incoming water pressure. As the shower will be fed from two sources (hot and cold), the flow of hot water could be reduced making you having to slow the flow of water down at the shower head just to get it warm.
Absolutely right! So the hotter the shower, the less water pressure. Running a hot bath can take a pretty long time!

.............wish I still had my hot tub!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Is a hot water system shower better if you don't have a combi? Or is it just for combi households?
No different really except that a gravity system (tank in the loft and a copper cylinder) really needs to be pumped. Either a separate pump (normally fitted by the tank or in the loft) or a power shower which is a shower unit which has a pump inside it.

There are other options such as digital showers which have a control box housed in the loft but these are generally a lot more expensive.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
a power shower is when the hot water comes off your hot water cylinder the water if feed from the loft which is low pressure.

A power shower can not be used if your shower is feed of the mains.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Of course the advantage of an electric shower is that you can still have a shower if your boiler goes wrong.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top