Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Re: Vertigo ... or BPPV

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You know the ailment ... the one where you walk at a slant or worse, go to get up and the world spins.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Anyone had it? I've had the thing for a month now.
I'm doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises and getting fed up.
I have had that on & off for years, used to have pills for it, but when it went, never got any more, perhaps I should have, as it's been back for the last few weeks now. Not bad just very annoying, when I lie in bed the room goes around & when I get up the room goes around. Like I've had too much to drink, except I don't drink. It passes after a minute or two though. Not too bad during the day unless I move my head quickly.
What are those exercises, Brandt-Daroff, Morticia, not heard of those.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Morty, ask you doctor.....

1) Is this connected to the awful experience that put you in hospital?

2) Get your vitamin D levels checked, as there is growing evidence linking BPPV with bone loss and with low levels of vitamin D.
Many people in the UK have low vitamin D levels, owing to lack of sun, and my doctors believe that we should all take vit D supplements through the winter.

It may seem a small problem but, if you establish what is causing it, you may be able to find a simple way of stopping it.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 01:40 PM

I had it a number of years ago for about 10 days. I did some neck exercises similar to the Brant- Dorrof procedure which my doctor suggested. Never been troubled with it again.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 02:05 PM

I thought mine was caused by arthritis in my neck. Doc doesn't think so.
I tried those dort thingy exercises, nearly knocked me out! The room was spinning for ages then I got a headache
I hope you get yours sorted Morty, it's not nice.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Morty, ask you doctor.....

1) Is this connected to the awful experience that put you in hospital?

2) Get your vitamin D levels checked, as there is growing evidence linking BPPV with bone loss and with low levels of vitamin D.
Many people in the UK have low vitamin D levels, owing to lack of sun, and my doctors believe that we should all take vit D supplements through the winter.

It may seem a small problem but, if you establish what is causing it, you may be able to find a simple way of stopping it.
Better Morty asks for the Dix Hallpike test or the Epley Manoeuvre .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:41 PM

I seem to hear of more and people suffering with this dizziness.
My sister gets it. She also gets a feeling of pressure on the top of her head.

Would wearing a neck support help?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Zuleika, l will tell my sister about the neck test and manoeuvre, you mention.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I am sure she will as these are known to help, but maybe you are unaware that....

BPPV is the most common cause of vertigo. ... Past research has shown that vitamin D deficiency is linked with the development of vertigo. In fact, scientists have confirmed that vitamin D receptors are located on calcium channel transport systems in the inner ear and help regulate proper calcium balance.

I have sent her a PM as she may not be aware if this.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 03:49 PM

How awful for you .

I woke one morning , sat up and fell off the bed . I dont know how I got it or what it was . I rested for 3 days and it went .

A week later I drove to the hospital for physiotherapy on my frozen shoulder . The physio was quite rough with me and after he left me in the curtained off area I fell again . I called out but the department was empty. I managed to walk along the wall up the stairs along a corridor to the reception area without falling but I must have looked drunk. Doctor took me in her room tested me for stroke etc . I went home in a taxi . I was given some tablets and after 2 days I got better . I've never had it since and I hope I never do . I've heard about this manoeuvre which puts the Crystal's back where they belong . You poor thing I really hope you get well .

P.s. my sister had it and would sit on her bed and throw herself onto her side it made her very poorly too but it did the trick

Get well soon Morticia
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

19-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Can l ask if any of you that suffer with this ailment have had your ears syringed in the past?
I know ear syringing can be connected to the cause of Tinnitus and l wondered if it can attribute to dizziness.
My sister suffers with both and she has her ears syringed.

I’m probably talking a load of nonsense but it does make you wonder?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top