Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 11:38 PM

Cloning of domestic pets

I remember reading about this a very long time ago, but forgot about it until I saw a bit on telly a few nights ago about the Japanese offering a service to dog owners to have their beloved animals cloned . . . for £40,000 !!!

I wonder if these cloned domestic animals have the same mind and behaviour as the other one, or is only the external appearance?

Something the rich and famous might well go for, but not me, even if I had that sort of money.

Each animal to me, is an individual, and loved for what he/she is. To my mind, another dog (or any pet) deserves to be equally loved and not just because he/she looks a replica of a previous one.
What an enormous responsibility to place on a pup!

When I have lost any of my beloved dogs over the years, no matter how much it has crushed me, I understand they have left me and eventually accept it, but it has never stopped me caring and loving the next one in time.

To me, I think it might feel a bit creepy to see his dear face still walking about like nothing had happened.

No doubt they will be offering to clone human relatives for us in the not too distant future.
In fact, I would go so far as to say, that is why they are selling the service for animals first, in order to raise funding for the next experiment - humans.

How do you feel about cloning domestic pets?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 04:50 AM

Re: Cloning of domestic pets

This is a really difficult question. All common sense and looking at life in a realistic way I could say it is silly. All living things pass eventually. It's the natural cycle of nature. The unbridled joy that our last dog - the one we lost 18 months ago - brought us and the monumental grief we went through when he died will stay with us forever. He was so adored. WE had him for nearly 13 years. But we had to let him go because he was so sick and in pain and there was nothing anyone could do. We still have his ashes in our bookcase and we still talk to him. Of course if somebody said to me today "I can bring Toby back as good as new. He will remember you and love you like he did before", I can't lie and say I wouldn't jump for joy and say yes. But cloning him is different . He wouldn't be the same dog. He'd be himself. We have another dog now. Tex is a great little guy. BUt he's not Toby. He's himself and he's become part of us in his own way. So I say no. Ultimately a dumb idea. BUt if it makes people happy and they haven't got anything better to do with their money..far be it from me to judge them.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 09:32 AM

Meddling with nature . As you say each has their own personality dog owners know this and that cant be cloned only a look alike and it sounds awful .

Nothing is forever .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 10:04 AM

The famous celebrity case is Barbra Streisand.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8835726.html

I am sure we would all like our pets to be with us forever but it's totally unnatural and when so many people live in poverty recklessly extravagant given the cost.

Some people have their animals stuffed after death. Again because they cannot let go. I think it says more about the individual trying to control everything around them. You cannot control chaos but I guess money can buy you the illusion that you have.

I'm not surprised they have different personalities. They have been brought up in a small pack rather than as an only dog. So much of personality in humans is down to nurture and I'm sure dogs are no different.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
This is a really difficult question. All common sense and looking at life in a realistic way I could say it is silly. All living things pass eventually. It's the natural cycle of nature. The unbridled joy that our last dog - the one we lost 18 months ago - brought us and the monumental grief we went through when he died will stay with us forever. He was so adored. WE had him for nearly 13 years. But we had to let him go because he was so sick and in pain and there was nothing anyone could do. We still have his ashes in our bookcase and we still talk to him. Of course if somebody said to me today "I can bring Toby back as good as new. He will remember you and love you like he did before", I can't lie and say I wouldn't jump for joy and say yes. But cloning him is different . He wouldn't be the same dog. He'd be himself. We have another dog now. Tex is a great little guy. BUt he's not Toby. He's himself and he's become part of us in his own way. So I say no. Ultimately a dumb idea. BUt if it makes people happy and they haven't got anything better to do with their money..far be it from me to judge them.

I understand you feel Keezoy and the hi-lighted bit is how I feel too. Probably most of us at our age have loved and lost, and we know it hurts like hell, but I don't think cloning is the answer.

Remember also, that these clonings probably mostly occur at a time when the human is still grieving, so I would imagine seeing an absolute double of the dog you are grieving for could be overwhelming.
Again, I imagine that because the new dog looks an exact replica of the one they lost, they might also expect it to be the same in it's habits, thoughts, and behaviour, and be disappointed when it isn't.

Then what happens when the cloned dog dies?
Do they clone the cloned dog again?
They would do better to learn acceptance and how to let go IMO and put that money to help a worthwile cause instead.

I saw on the programme, one couple that had their dog cloned while their existing pet was still alive and well though, because they wanted two the same! That was just a rich couple's whim thugh.

Perhaps their money would be better spent on good counselling to deal with their grief or mental health rather than trying to recreate the past.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 12:26 PM

Every dog we have is a joy with it's own personality and for me I like to remember them for that as individuals, and would never therefore want to replicate one. Vive le difference!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Every dog we have is a joy with it's own personality and for me I like to remember them for that as individuals, and would never therefore want to replicate one. Vive le difference!

Well put, Barry.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 01:13 PM

I think Mups is right when she says that pet cloning will lead
to human cloning? I dont think either option is good, especially
the cloning of humans as it will create the delusion of eternal
life, which extremely rich, or powerful leaders will not be able to
resist?
Can you imagine an everlasting president Assad or jeremy Corbyn??
I know the clones will start off with a fresh and clean brain, but
cloning will give repressive regimes the opportunity to extend
their influence over the population?
We are living in a science fiction age!
Donkeyman!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably most of us at our age have loved and lost, and we know it hurts like hell, but I don't think cloning is the answer.
I agree. There are more than enough pets in rescue centres needing a forever home without creating more.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I agree. There are more than enough pets in rescue centres needing a forever home without creating more.
Yes & if I was going to get another dog after the loss of one, it would be a rescue centre I would go to.
I have seen dogs stuffed after death & they are spooky, no way & to have a cloned one even more spooky. It's a horrible idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top