Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 12:28 AM

Re: Apocalypse Cow -How meat killed the planet

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Why import meat from elsewhere if there is so much space in the usa?

The United States imported 3.37 billion pounds of beef in 2015.** The United States imported the most beef in 2015 from Australia followed by New Zealand and Canada.

Australia, New Zealand, Canada & Mexico accounted for 87% of U.S. beef imports in 2015.

The United States imported beef from 18 different countries in 2015.
I was unaware that the U.S imports beef in such large quantities. It may be that imported beef is cheaper than U.S. beef. Additionally, demand may be so high that it is necessary to import beef just to keep up with demand. Given our population, the imported beef would come to aprox 10 lbs/person/year. I can't speak for others but I know that I alone consume aprx 120 lbs /year. Finally, we must look at what the imported beef is used for. It occurs to me that dog/cat food must be considered as part of the cause.
What ever the cause of so much imported beef, I assure you that is not for lack of space. The U.S. is a huge country and it takes me 5 days to drive across it , from coast to coast (4,670 Km). In contrast, the U.K. is relatively small. If I were to drive across it from Plymouth in the west, to Great Yarmouth in the east. it would take me only 6.5 hours to drive the 588 Km.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
However, humans are not carnivores. Carnivores have a relatively short digestive system (as meat is easily digested). Carnivores have tear molars, to rip the flesh from the bones.
Herbivores have a long digestive system, because it takes time to break down plant cells with cellulose in it. They have molars to grind their food down.

Humans are omnivores, like pigs are. Digestive system and teeth are of an intermediate type. Humans can live on both types of food, which increases their adaptability to different environments.
I never meant to suggest that humans are carnivores. We all know very well that we are omnivores. My post on that subject only meant to point out that meat is the absolute richest food in protein content and that throughout our long ancient history meat has been the single most sought after food.
bakerman
Mexico

14-01-2020, 01:32 AM

I did some quick reading on the beef export/import situation in the U.S. and I must admit that it is extremely complicated.
As strange as it may sound, The U.S. BOTH exports AND imports beef. Sounds crazy, but true. The demand, within the U.S., is primarily for steaks and ground beef. The "lesser" cuts are often exported but the demand for steaks (the center cuts) is so high that some must be imported. For example, the "round" comes from the hind quarters and that is no where near the value of the cuts such as rib-eye , sirloin, and filet. Thus, much round is exported, while some of the choicest cuts may be imported.

A bit off topic here but it might be interesting. When I lived in The Philippines, from 2005 - 2011, I wanted to buy a few Kilos of corned beef , but it was simply not available. So, I set out to make my own. HUGE problem ! I could not locate any "brisket" which is the traditional cut for corned beef. After scouring the markets, I still could not find any briskets. Finally, I spoke with a chef at one of the top steak houses and he informed me that the Japanese buy all of the front quarters that they could buy from Australia. Thus, The Philippines were left with mostly the hind quarters ("rounds" etc). I did eventually locate 4 kilos of brisket but I had to pay a kings ransom for it. For those who have never made corned beef, it takes 21 days of soaking in a special kind of brine and must be kept refrigerated. OMG, it was absolutely delicious served with cabbage, carrots and boiled potatoes and served with my own home-made rye bread.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
OGF ,the world population has never been so large and its increasing all the time,
In the UK we are building houses all over agricultural land haven't you noticed?
It's true Muddy, houses are springing up everywhere just lately, but take a drive out into the country. I recently drove down to Southampton, and there is considerably more country than built up areas. Field after field, forests a plenty and lakes and streams without a building in sight.

True, villages are becoming towns and towns into cities, but people tend to gravitate around a nucleus. I agree that in years to come there will be less countryside, but there are still plenty of places in the British Isles where I can run or walk and not see a human being all day.....

The reason why we think we are overpopulated, especially here in the UK is because during the 2000's for reasons best known to themselves, the labour government encouraged thousands of foreign workers to come and settle here.
Problem was that the infrastructure could not cope with the influx. Not enough roads, hospitals, schools and services.

Plus the fact that since the fifties when hardly anybody had a car, and most people worked within walking distance of their place of work, we find that now everyone has a car and works miles away from where they live. Children no longer go the school nearest to them and have to travel sometimes miles in mums taxi, unlike the days in the fifties when it was possible to walk to school. So in sixty years almost everyone who is able to drive possesses a car. The road building has not been able to keep up with demand and we find ourselves gridlocked each morning and evening, and it's only going to get worse.

So although in the towns and cities, and even rural areas, this gives the impression that we are overpopulated, and indeed in these areas we are, when in reality there is plenty of room. Bad people management is the real problem......
bakerman
Mexico

15-01-2020, 12:58 AM

Personally, I believe that there is an excess of humanity. However, solving THAT problem is nearly impossible unless governments and the citizens wish to impose sanctions on the birth rate as China has done.

China has neighborhood "wardens" who report pregnant woman. The Chinese government then goes to the pregnant women and tells them when to report for a mandated abortion. That only applies to women who already had a child.

I'm not suggesting that such measures should be instituted in the west. I'm only saying what China's answer is.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's true Muddy, houses are springing up everywhere just lately, but take a drive out into the country. I recently drove down to Southampton, and there is considerably more country than built up areas. Field after field, forests a plenty and lakes and streams without a building in sight.

True, villages are becoming towns and towns into cities, but people tend to gravitate around a nucleus. I agree that in years to come there will be less countryside, but there are still plenty of places in the British Isles where I can run or walk and not see a human being all day.....

The reason why we think we are overpopulated, especially here in the UK is because during the 2000's for reasons best known to themselves, the labour government encouraged thousands of foreign workers to come and settle here.
Problem was that the infrastructure could not cope with the influx. Not enough roads, hospitals, schools and services.

Plus the fact that since the fifties when hardly anybody had a car, and most people worked within walking distance of their place of work, we find that now everyone has a car and works miles away from where they live. Children no longer go the school nearest to them and have to travel sometimes miles in mums taxi, unlike the days in the fifties when it was possible to walk to school. So in sixty years almost everyone who is able to drive possesses a car. The road building has not been able to keep up with demand and we find ourselves gridlocked each morning and evening, and it's only going to get worse.

So although in the towns and cities, and even rural areas, this gives the impression that we are overpopulated, and indeed in these areas we are, when in reality there is plenty of room. Bad people management is the real problem......
OGF I live in the country in a village .
This was once a very rural area but huge estates are growing up everywhere none have enough parking as everyone seems to have two or three cars .The village school is oversubscribed there is no village shop as everyone shops in supermarkets .
The nearby small historic town is clogged with giant SUVs the fields are disappearing .
There are just too many of us.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top