Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Re: BISCUITS Vs. COOKIES

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ok, I understand it now. The scones, while they look like biscuits, have very much more sugar and are made with cream, not milk.
The biscuits made in the U.S. are much more of a bread, and not at all sweet. The scones in the U.K. seem to be almost a pastry.
But, if made in round shapes, they do look identical.
Thanks all
Not so , scones were traditionally made with buttermilk left over from butter making (or yoghurt these days ) to make them lighter and they can be savoury with no sugar at all.
I make scones with cheese and chives and other savory content .
I put hardly any sugar in sweet scones, they don't need it when served with Jam.

These are part wholemeal cheese and chive scones on the left of the picture

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:28 PM

Confused. In the U.S. we call chocolate chip cookies... cookies. The same applies to all other types, like, for example: sugar cookies, vanilla cookies, raison cookies, gingerbread cookies, etc etc.

On the other hand if we make a biscuit, made with flour, baking powder, dash of salt, bit of sugar, solid veg shortening and buttermilk... a BISCUIT. This is lightly rolled out and cut into rounds. These are baked at a very high temp until it rises from aprox 1.6 cm to about 3 -4 cm. and the tops turn a medium golden brown. The result is a type of "quick bread". This is often served for breakfast with a sausage gravy poured over the top.

Apparently the reverse is true in the UK. What we call cookies you lot call a biscuit.

So, what do you call a biscuit ? Or do you even make a biscuit ?
My dear wife is a southern gal from Georgia.
Biscuits and gravy and a big mug of coffee for breakfast at Mamma's Cafe just down the road. But the biscuits were about like what we in UK would call scones.

For us biscuits are ginger snaps or rich tea. Hard and crunchy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not correct , scones are often made with buttermilk or yoghurt to make them lighter and can be savoury with no sugar at all.
I make scones with cheese and chives and I put hardly any sugar in sweet scones, they don't need it when served with Jam,
These are cheese scones on the left of my picture

https://www.over50sforum.com/attachm...1&d=1579177262
I had completely forgotten about cheese scones. They look yummy!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had completely forgotten about cheese scones. They look yummy!
Thank you LD they don't rise a lot because of the wholemeal flour . In addition to the traditional fruit scones I also make sour cherry and sun-dried tomato/olive scones the latter to have with home made soup.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 05:31 PM

Thank you LD they don't rise a lot because of the wholemeal flour . In addition to the traditional fruit scones I also make sour cherry and sun-dried tomato/olive scones the latter to have with home made soup.
Fantastic. I bet they taste lovely.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 05:38 PM

It might have been where we stayed in the USA but their equivalent of our biscuits (cookies) looked fantastic. The down side was they had no taste, no matter what colour they were they were just so so plain taste wise, a big disappointment
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Not so , scones were traditionally made with buttermilk left over from butter making (or yoghurt these days ) to make them lighter and they can be savoury with no sugar at all.
I make scones with cheese and chives and other savory content .
I put hardly any sugar in sweet scones, they don't need it when served with Jam.

These are part wholemeal cheese and chive scones on the left of the picture

By gum those scones look handsome, Meg.
I can neearly taste 'em.
Bet your house always smells delicious with all the baking you do.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It might have been where we stayed in the USA but their equivalent of our biscuits (cookies) looked fantastic. The down side was they had no taste, no matter what colour they were they were just so so plain taste wise, a big disappointment
Do you happen to recall where you had our cookies ? What kind were they ? Did you try others ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:16 PM

I always wanted to try the US biscuits. I had no idea they were scones. Apparently the origin of the US word cookie is from the Dutch settlers.

I went through a phase of wanting to cook US dishes after reading the book "Beautiful creatures " Every other page describes mysterious but delicious food, often classic American cakes and pies. I did make peach pie last year. I was very surprised that it uses tinned peaches.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 11:25 PM

Do you happen to recall where you had our cookies ? What kind were they ? Did you try others ?
They looked fantastic in shop windows in several towns we visited. Lovely icing decorations on them. We went and bought some and !!!!!!!

This was many many years ago and things might have improved or just this shop. it is just how I remembered them.

On the plus side internet friends came and met us while we were there and the food was amazing.
Never seen such large meals, a Pizza when ordered for 4 people would have fed a dozen, No wonder customers asked for doggie bags to take food home in

In Fishermans Wharf The Clam Chowder was to die for. Even bought tins home. OOH if only I could go back just for that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top