Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Becoming comfortable with death

Please do not get me wrong. I am not at deaths door but I have several incurable ailments which will eventually take me away. As every single one of my friends have already passed on, I do get some anxiety when I think about how long I have left.

My question is this: "I would like to be able to adjust my thinking so that I can spend whatever time I have left in peace. So, how do people do that ? I imagine that those who are religious have that to support them, believing as they do in an after-life. I have no religion so that one is out for me. I have read that some people become relaxed/comfortable with impending death.

Any thoughts you may have along this line would be most welcome.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:27 PM

Re: Becoming comfortable with death

Remaining a Human Being probably involves being uncomfortable with some stuff that can't really be computed, being comfortable with being troubled and accepting as par for the course is probably the closest one can get???
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:29 PM

I was told that when you pass away from this existence you go to another. That is where all your friends and relatives are waiting for you.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:32 PM

I'm comfortable with death . I do have a faith but not a religion more of a spiritual outlook . For me I have found peace with myself and an acceptance of my faults and mistakes. I've also come to the conclusion that there is a time to go and I perhaps dont belong in this different world that I find at times alien to me .

Besides I really dont want to get really old and unable to care for myself .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:36 PM

Bakerman I feel the same as you ,the anxiety bit and having had many friends who have passed on , although to my knowledge I don’t have any specific ailments that can’t be cured .
It’s a disturbing ,distressing thought I never imagined would come over me .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I'm comfortable with death . I do have a faith but not a religion more of a spiritual outlook . For me I have found peace with myself and an acceptance of my faults and mistakes. I've also come to the conclusion that there is a time to go and I perhaps dont belong in this different world that I find at times alien to me .

Besides I really dont want to get really old and unable to care for myself .
Susan re your last sentence I don’t think you’ll have any choice in the matter and none of us want to .
For myself I don’t see a point to being alive without a quality of life but there really isn’t any choice available on that point unless you take steps to opt out.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Those who have had something they could have died from but didn't might consider that all years afterwards are a bonus (I'm sure this applies to lots of people) ..and so be comfortable with the thought of death. Still be scared when the time comes but glad of the years they got that might not have been lived.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 01:31 PM

For my part death doesn’t frighten me. I know it’s certainly going to happen and I can’t do anything about that. What does concern me is to try and leave my things in a tidy way so that it will be quite easy to take everything over when I have gone. And I’m making it clear that I don’t care what they do in the funeral. Whatever they decide to do is fine by me. By that time, there won’t be a ‘me’ anymore. Funerals really are for those who are still alive so that they can grieve (or not).
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 02:35 PM

I want to die in bed. I didn't want that when I was young, I wanted to die in action!

I try to keep positive, I will go to some kind of heaven. I like the idea of keeping it lighthearted, maybe kick a bucket literally on to the floor. My friends/loved-ones can cry but not before I'm gone please.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 02:36 PM

Well, my opinion is that something created us, sustained us, that is a fact because here we are and when I look back there were lots of times I should not have survived but I did. So I believe that that creator will not suddenly abandon me when I pass on. I have no clue what happens after. I tell myself various stories but then those beliefs shatter whenever someone I love dies or someone young

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top