Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Re: Tinitus

Its surprising how many of us have it . Now I'm reading your posts it's got louder ! Yes we have to live with it and sometimes it suddenly stops and its bliss . I did wonder if it came from the inner ear so that's interesting. Now I'm going to try to tune into it in the hope it will stop if you get my meaning

Sorry if I've made yours more irritating by the way

MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:40 AM

I have tinnitus too in my right ear, where I am also completely deaf. Mine started when I was pregnant with my second son, 47 years ago, and was a symptom of Meniere's Disease where I also experienced debilitating bouts of vertigo. I was referred to the hospital and the consultant diagnosed Meniere's Disease, saying that it was unusual for a younger person to suffer from it.

The vertigo gradually ceased, after about 10 years, and I am left with the deafness and tinnitus. I am so used to the tinnitus now that I rarely hear it unless I think about it. My 'good' ear compensates for the deafness in my right ear - either that or I repeatedly have to say 'pardon' It didn't stop me from having a successful career in teaching though, thank goodness. These things only get you down if you let them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I have tinnitus too in my right ear, where I am also completely deaf. Mine started when I was pregnant with my second son, 47 years ago, and was a symptom of Meniere's Disease where I also experienced debilitating bouts of vertigo. I was referred to the hospital and the consultant diagnosed Meniere's Disease, saying that it was unusual for a younger person to suffer from it.

The vertigo gradually ceased, after about 10 years, and I am left with the deafness and tinnitus. I am so used to the tinnitus now that I rarely hear it unless I think about it. My 'good' ear compensates for the deafness in my right ear - either that or I repeatedly have to say 'pardon' It didn't stop me from having a successful career in teaching though, thank goodness. These things only get you down if you let them.
That is my problem Margaret , hearing a voice through a hive of bees humming I have to keep saying sorry I didn't catch that
The worst situation is where there are a number of people talking in the background, I can't separate voices.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That is my problem Margaret , hearing a voice through a hive of bees humming I have to keep saying sorry I didn't catch that
The worst situation is where there are a number of people talking in the background, I can't separate voices.
Yes that is a problem isn't it Meg - restaurants, if I'm with a few people, can be challenging that's for sure.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 01:13 PM

Yes that is a problem isn't it Meg - restaurants, if I'm with a few people, can be challenging that's for sure.
I have similar problems in restaurants, especially if the acoustics have been compromised by a trendy decor.

Despite my expensive hearing aids (Phonak) I can hear conversations from behind in preference to those sitting opposite me at the same table. I suppose some would think that quite a bonus, as I can listen in to their 'private' (not so private when they raise their voices!) conversations.

The hearing aids appear to have openings, one facing forward and the other facing backwards. The audiologist assures me that BOTH microphones work for both front and back, yet when I gently stroke each in turn, the rear microphone produces a higher pitch sound than the front one, so I'm loath to believe her. She says that she cannot alter the volume of each individually. I shall certainly not buy a Phonak aid again if that's the case.

Nothing to do with tinnitus, though. Sorry!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 03:22 PM

Almost an identical experience to mine!
Now left with whistling and deafness in the left ear. Right ear’s noise and deafness free .
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

20-01-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Almost an identical experience to mine!
Now left with whistling and deafness in the left ear. Right ear’s noise and deafness free .
I used to be concerned that maybe eventually the deafness and tinnitus would affect both ears but, like you, my good ear is OK so far.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 03:53 PM

I have tinnitus in both ears - the left ear being the loudest. It all started about 4-5 years ago in my left ear when, for some reason, I checked and found my blood pressure had gone sky high. It has since progressed to both ears.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 05:11 PM

I'm told some folk have a deep noise or a hum . In this noisy world I only realise it's there when I sit quietly or go to bed . Then with a vengeance it seems to get really loud and overwhelming and its then I realise it is actually constant.

I would imagine the high screech I have is like a dog whistle that we cant hear when blown.

Time to put TV on methinks
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 05:43 PM

I admire all of you for your courage in living with this .
My mother had Menieres Desease too it was severe affected both ears and made her a virtual invalid for much of her life .She was afraid to go out alone as she had severe attacks of vertigo quite often .

My sons hearing was damaged by someone throwing a firework near his head .

Hearing is easily damaged by loud noises all of those discos when young did our ears little good .

If you go to the Brunel railway museum you can hear the recorded stories of the people who worked in the engine shed .They were horrendously noisy especially the banging and riveting to make the boilers for the steam engines .
Nearly every worker suffered form deafness and ringing in the ears .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top