Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 03:56 AM

Orion nebula

Are there any astronomers here ? This is a photo of the Orion Nebula taken from the Hubble telescope. I am curious to know if the pinkish-red gasses are actually what we would see if we are close enough. Or are those colors "computer enhanced" ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	11550  
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Re: Orion nebula

Though it can only be a partial disappointment, that is a composite photo taken by Nasa using filters of varying wavelengths, with each color representing a different gas. Whoever worked on the project could assign whatever color he or she wanted for each of the wavelength ranges.

The nebula is nonetheless spectacular and most people who report any color using backyard telescopes with UHC filters to filter out light pollution and designed for nebula viewing describe seeing it as grayish green. I've seen it through a filter that was projected as looking pink with a little green.

Each of several gasses, the most predominant of which is hydrogen, glows due to the intense UV radiation that is emitted by four hot, young stars called the Trapezium Cluster.

Of interest, Betelgeuse, Orion's upper-left shoulder is undergoing unprecedented dimming, which was not expected.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 11:09 AM

Re: Orion nebula

Ah, ha. Ok, I get it now. So the colors are the result of which filters are used. Thank you, Surfermom.
It sure is beautiful.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top