Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 11:20 PM

Re: BBC Raises Licence Fee - Again!¬

The licence needs to go, so that we have the choice of who to subscribe to. It wouldn't bother me if the BBC went with it along with their lefty, brainwashing cr@p.

They have already axed certain services such as 5Live, Newsnight and Victoria Derbyshire. Obviously no Asian programmes were harmed during the cull.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They do pretty decent programmes on the BBC. However, they should not make it more expensive than Netflix.
Such as? The majority of their stuff is mindless twaddle. A mixture of inane gameshows, crap comedies, dire soap operas, and overlong sports programmes presented by overpaid has-been former sports people.

They should stop the extortion known as the licence fee and make the BBC self funding.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The licence needs to go, so that we have the choice of who to subscribe to. It wouldn't bother me if the BBC went with it along with their lefty, brainwashing cr@p.

They have already axed certain services such as 5Live, Newsnight and Victoria Derbyshire. Obviously no Asian programmes were harmed during the cull.
Can't argue with that.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:49 AM

To play devil's advocate the licence money also has to pay for the extensive radio services, the now exhaustive internet services, and a significant portion of the cost of the broadcasting network (transmitters, communication links, staffing of the infrastructure, replacement costs and more.

However the program side is hopelessly overstaffed and horribly politicised. If cuts are to be made, and they should, then cuts should be made on foreign language broadcasts because the is Great Britain and not supposed to be some overseas territory of (fill in name of country here)

What I do object to is a chunk of our license fee paying for the world service broadcasting to over 200 countries round the world. SOD THAT!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 01:03 PM

The total collected by the BBC through licencing is around five Billion pounds. If they can't make this work, then something is very wrong.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The total collected by the BBC through licencing is around five Billion pounds. If they can't make this work, then something is very wrong.
There IS something very wrong. Staffing levels, wages paid to "celebrities" and even announcers and more.

But if it were not for the sales of BBC material overseas the license fee would be very much higher.

One problem that I see is that the Beeb has become an institution in its own right and knows it. IMO it needs a sharp slap and told to behave as a broadcasting service and NOTHING MORE.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There IS something very wrong. Staffing levels, wages paid to "celebrities" and even announcers and more.

But if it were not for the sales of BBC material overseas the license fee would be very much higher.

One problem that I see is that the Beeb has become an institution in its own right and knows it. IMO it needs a sharp slap and told to behave as a broadcasting service and NOTHING MORE.
Yes I agree.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 04:44 PM

... the program side is hopelessly overstaffed ...
You've only got to read the end credits of some programmes to see that. Just how many editors, directors, producers, etc does it take to make a TV series?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Such as? The majority of their stuff is mindless twaddle. A mixture of inane gameshows, crap comedies, dire soap operas, and overlong sports programmes presented by overpaid has-been former sports people.

They should stop the extortion known as the licence fee and make the BBC self funding.
Poldark, Line of Duty, Killing Eve, This Life, Pride & Prejudice, Mum, Call the Midwife, Fleabag, Dr Who, Peaky Blinders, Wanderlust, Later with Jools Holland to name but a few.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:01 AM

To play devil's advocate the licence money also has to pay for the extensive radio services, the now exhaustive internet services, and a significant portion of the cost of the broadcasting network (transmitters, communication links, staffing of the infrastructure, replacement costs and more.

However the program side is hopelessly overstaffed and horribly politicised. If cuts are to be made, and they should, then cuts should be made on foreign language broadcasts because the is Great Britain and not supposed to be some overseas territory of (fill in name of country here)

What I do object to is a chunk of our license fee paying for the world service broadcasting to over 200 countries round the world. SOD THAT!
I am always happy when I turn on the tv abroad and see BBC on the programme list. It's like a home from home. I think the BBC is great and a media presence abroad puts us on the map at a very low cost relative to the benefits.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top