Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:00 AM

How did you get your first dog/cat?

can I please say what we did? story time
Year (1974)

I always wanted a dog and Sue always wanted an Afghan Hound, so we were in agreement, makes a change. So we went to a few dog shows and asked some of the breeders there.
That was our very first step in going about getting a dog

After a bit of research and phone calls we contacted a lady calle Ann Allen ( kebella kennels) who lived not far from us.
On the phone she said she didn't have any puppies but we were welcome to arrange to meet her at her house to talk about the breed.

On arrival she greeted us and spoke about the breed and what was involved in keeing one. After about an hour she admitted she did have some puppies (not a big breeder by the way) would we like to see them.

Of course we would so she led us to the puppy room and there were the most georgous 3/4 week old puppies you could ever wish to meet. They were from a "blue Kanabad" line of Afghan hounds and among the puppies was a white one.

So we told here we only wanted one as a pet not for showing or anything, so she agree we could have one but apparently not "show" quality and we would have to wait until they were about 14 weeks old and old enough to be going to new homes.
So weeks late we got that phone call fron Ann to say we could pick up a puppy. Well you can imagine the excitement and arrange a day to go.

Here I diverse a bit because the stud dog owner Margaret Niblock went to see the newborns and found "mum" had dropped the white puppy on the gravel outside while doing what dogs do
Also Herr Frakenburger (germany) heard about the litter and wanted the white one as a stud dog for his breed line

Anyway as I was saying we went to get one of the puppies (now this still brings tears to my eyes)and Ann said we could have the white one, only the third white in the country at the time.

Apparently Heer F. was quite annoyed that the white one was going to be a pet.

So home we went with a white Afghan hound "Pasha" called such because when Margaret saw the puppy on the gravel she said it was like her show Champion White Warrior ,pet
name Pasha, and called this one baby Pasha and we kept the name

That is not the end of the story by any means

we kept and still do with Anne after 47 years . Well when our Pasha was 6 months old we got a phone call from Anne saying she had entered our pasha at the Southern Afghan championship show in minor puppy class.

Well we didn't have a clue but went anyway and to cut the story down a bit ,walked out with best minor puppy, at a Champ show no less and qualified for Crufts, bloody hell what have we let ourselvers in for???

We did meet another little owner and again remained friends auntil she passed away recently. Also got friendly with Margaret until she passed away. Oh she was at the very top of the afghan world not only here but abroad and wrote a book called "definative study of the Afghan hound", considered the Bible of the breed and she signed it for Sue and gave her a copy, now worth quite a bit of money I undestand

So for the next forty odd years we had no end of Afghan hounds, often 4 or 5 at a time, and bred a couple of litters as well.
so that is how we got our first dog, during those years we had a hamiltonstovare and a Dobermann. Now down to teasle our little border terrier

Hope you enjoyed this little story
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:10 AM

Re: How did you get your first dog/cat?

Beautiful dogs Afghans. Lovely story, RS.

Got my dog when I was 15, had been on at my parents for one for years, at 15 my parents decided I was old enough to look after one.
Dad took me to the local dogs home & we saw 2 pups, one came & sat on my feet, so she was it. I called her Mica & she lived for 16 years.
She was a mutt but had some spaniel in her.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-01-13-2211-11.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	11561  
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:27 AM

Tiffany

Because of the above eventually I took early vol. retirement from BT and we bought boarding kennels and owned it for the next 20+years until we retired.

Strange how things work out from early beginnings

some of our own puppies we bred and they start off being black

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:09 PM

They don't look like the adult dogs as pups do they. I think there are a few breeds who's pups look different as pups to adults.

They are lovely dogs.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:28 PM

Oh that takes me back! When we were first married in 1973 we acquired 2 Afghan hounds kind of by accident..!
We were asked to look after one, just for a few months while the owner went to London to do a course. He was around a year old, a big blond boy, immaculate pedigree but daft as a brush as a lot of them are
We had just moved into our first house, a semi, and by coincidence our nextdoor neighbour, Billy, had 2 Afghan hounds. Billy told us when he was at the vets that there was a black coloured pedigree Afghan bitch, about a year old that was going to be put down if they couldn't find an owner... Well of course we took her on! And as they are pack animals they would be company for each other while we were at work. This poor thing's coat was so matted the vet had had to practically shave her, apart from her paws which made her look like a skinny shire horse! She was so thin and had almost bald patches from where the worst tats were. When we took her out for a walk people stopped and stared in amazement! I have photos of her somewhere, will try and find them. She was such a gentle dog, wouldn't hurt a fly and we didn't believe for one minute the excuse given to the vet by the previous owner that she had bitten one of the children. Indeed years later when our own kids were born she lay patiently tolerating them lying on her and holding her curly tail etc. and loving it!

So that meant for much of the time there were 5 Afghan hounds living next door to each other. Every Tuesday night the local fire station just down the road would test their siren at precisely 8.00pm and at 8.01pm every Tuesday night 5 -Afghan hounds would be heard "singing" in unison "Owwwwwwwwww!"
I think the rest of the avenue were delighted when we all moved!

Our friend never asked for her dog back and we ended up having a litter of 4 pups from them, my brother took one, next door neighbour took one, sold one and the biggest character was the runt of the litter which my parents took.

I have many stories about them and indeed could write a book about their antics!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:31 PM

As children growing up we just had rescue street dogs, someone's mongrel would have a litter and we would take one (or two) in. My first dog as a married adult was also a rescue dog, a black lab crossed with something or other that a friend was taking to have put down at a year old because his kids had got fed up with her, and she turned out to be one of the finest dogs that I ever had...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 10:45 AM

When I was nobbut a young school girl I was with others playing outside a man's house (known to our next door neighbours as the father of a son in law), whose dog had had puppies. I must have whined that I wanted one because he placed a bitch in my arms and said 'here, you can have that for ten bob'.

She became Trixie, a much loved member of our household.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:43 AM

When I was a child I used to nag my mum for a dog but she never gave in. I really loved dogs and I remember calling daily at a house on the road below us that belonged to an elderly lady and she couldn't get out to walk the dog. I used to walk Patch for the lady and I even managed to teach it to 'give paw'
I couldn't tell you what breed it was, probably mongrel but he was a lovely dog.

Eventually mum gave in and agreed to let us have a dog. A breeder of Chihuahuas had just had a litter and Mum took me on to let me choose the one I wanted.

I chose the cutest black and white long haired tiniest pup. I was in love.

I called her Suzy, she was very spoiled, my Mum used to buy her lamb chops! Money was scarce back then so I considered myself very lucky to be able to have a pedigree dog.

I remember taking her for a walk in the fields near us and I let her off the lead, I had all on to find her and was panicking, the grass was so long and I couldn't see her. Luckily, she found me! I remember feeling the relief when she came to me.

Suzy was a very 'brave' girl, when anyone came she would run under the sideboard and bark her little head off LOL, she pretended she was tough ahhhh bless.

Suzy lived to be 16 years old, we were all heartbroken when she died and I will never forget my first dog. RIP Suzy.

As an adult I've kept different breeds, Whippet, Cavalier King Charles and now Kodi who is a Bichon Frise, all wonderful dogs. Snoopy the Cavalier was a very affectionate boy who always wanted to be by my side. Cindy the Whippet was a loonatic and very funny, Kodi is a stubborn little bugger and also very funny and adorable. Yes they all certainly had different personalities. While I have loved all my dogs I have to say Snoopy was the most affectionate, I do miss him curling up by my side. Kodi prefers to come give you a quick lick then bugger off, he does always want to be in the same room however.

I don't ever want to be without a dog. I adore the loyalty and unconditional love they give out.

Thank you for the thread, it's brought wonderful memories.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 08:39 PM

I was born into a home that had a dog. There have only been brief periods in my life where a dog was not a member of my family. Those periods are usually times after a loved dog has to be put down in their old age and I swear I will never go through that pain again. I have a one year old dog now, with a little luck, she will be taking me to the grave.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 08:55 PM

Lovely memories, LQ.
I know what you mean Savvy, it is absolutely heartbreaking to lose a pet.

We always had dogs when I was growing up, then when we got married we "acquired" the Afghans. Since then we have had 2 dogs, a black lab and then Olly, a half Newfoundland half retreiver German shepherd cross. Olly looked just like a golden retreiver and was a real character. He lived till almost 17 and popped his paws in 2012 We have also had cats and Olly and our 3 cats were best buddies, eventually! Sadly our last cat died just over 2 years ago, she was the nicest natured cat and a wonderful mouser!

We won't be getting any more pets at the moment as with our daughter in London and son in Switzerland we go away a lot and it wouldn't be fair to them.
But... never say never!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top