Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:51 AM

Re: New theory on big bang!

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have given some thought about distant galaxies moving away ever faster. To me, that can mean only one thing: In order for distant galaxies to speed up, then there must be some force which is attracting (pulling) those galaxies. In the past few decades, much has been theorized about "dark matter", which supposedly makes up a sizeable percentage of all matter in the universe.

I subscribe to the theory that there are an endless series of collapsing and expanding (big bangs).

When I am out in some wilderness, devoid of trees and with no man-made light, I look up at the stars and imagine that I am on some far away planet. As I look, I see one particular star (any star at random) and I imagine that that star is our sun. Wow ! Talk about feeling insignificant !
Ditto! Ditto! Bakerman,!!
Donkeyman!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If that thought gives you comfort Savvy, ok! But l think humans only
have these thought because we cant accept the thought that we
are insignificant and expendable?
However the idea that ' time' can run backwards is a very interesting
concept, the way l see it is that if we travel faster than the speed of
light we will eventually catch up with the images we projected in
previous years, but whether those images will be tangible l doubt?
Its very interesting though isnt it??
Donkeyman!
The best minds of the day agree that the laws of physics will not allow speed greater than the speed of light because there is not enough energy in the Universe to get that final bit of acceleration. I am a plumber, with a high school education, I will not be arguing with the science just because I don't fully understand it.

You may misinterpret my conceptions of our species. I don't think that, in the grand scheme of things, we are any more important than pond slime. We are a single species on an unimpressive planet in a backwater spiral arm of a galaxy that holds 40 billion planets roughly the size of the earth. It is one of 2 trillion estimated galaxies in the observable universes. (you start adding up all of those exponents and you come up with a tolerable high number of possibilities)

To think that we are special or deserve some sort of divine status is absurd. We aren't even smart enough to get along with each other, much less other species. We are too damn dumb to save the only home we have. The only thing we would have to offer, outside of this planet, may be lessons willingness to kill each other and destroy our only home. If we disappear in either a blaze of violent glory or whither on the vine and die a slow death, we would not even be a footnote in the Encyclopedia Galactica.

In practical terms, this means if we don't get our act together we ain't gonna make it, and if not, we certainly don't deserve it. We know what needs doing, but we are too damn greedy to do it.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
The best minds of the day agree that the laws of physics will not allow speed greater than the speed of light because there is not enough energy in the Universe to get that final bit of acceleration. I am a plumber, with a high school education, I will not be arguing with the science just because I don't fully understand it.

You may misinterpret my conceptions of our species. I don't think that, in the grand scheme of things, we are any more important than pond slime. We are a single species on an unimpressive planet in a backwater spiral arm of a galaxy that holds 40 billion planets roughly the size of the earth. It is one of 2 trillion estimated galaxies in the observable universes. (you start adding up all of those exponents and you come up with a tolerable high number of possibilities)

To think that we are special or deserve some sort of divine status is absurd. We aren't even smart enough to get along with each other, much less other species. We are too damn dumb to save the only home we have. The only thing we would have to offer, outside of this planet, may be lessons willingness to kill each other and destroy our only home. If we disappear in either a blaze of violent glory or whither on the vine and die a slow death, we would not even be a footnote in the Encyclopedia Galactica.

In practical terms, this means if we don't get our act together we ain't gonna make it, and if not, we certainly don't deserve it. We know what needs doing, but we are too damn greedy to do it.....
I think l did misunderstand your first post Savvy, but we are on the
same page now!
As regards exceeding the speed of light, Einstein himself suggested
it could be possible?
I also think it is since the data on black holes is getting more
plentifull? Surely if the huge gravity field of a black hole could stop
Iight escaping from it, could it not accellerate it if it was coming
towards it?

Regards Donkeyman!
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 12:12 PM

Wormholes?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->

I love it Savvy, a bit of a pessimistic view but one I generally agree with. I also merely have a high school education and turned out to be a mechanical engineer, but with an interest in most things. Matters concerning the universe and black holes find me punching well above my weight, but with help from the internet (and surfermom ) we can get a basic idea of what goes on in our observable universe.

Unfortunately I must disagree with you about being able to fashion the earth to our liking and future prosperity. Perhaps on a local scale we can clean things up a bit and make life a little bit more comfortable health wise, but the human species will always opt for comfort, and it will only be when things start to run out that we'll have to adjust. Who knows, maybe that's started to happen already....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think l did misunderstand your first post Savvy, but we are on the
same page now!
As regards exceeding the speed of light, Einstein himself suggested
it could be possible?
I also think it is since the data on black holes is getting more
plentifull?
Surely if the huge gravity field of a black hole could stop
Iight escaping from it, could it not accellerate it if it was coming
towards it?

Regards Donkeyman!
Originally Posted by biffo ->
Wormholes?
Einstein and co figured out some theories, and Hollywood fills in the gaps.....

For most people anyway....
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Maybe there will be one or two preppers that
survive to restart the human race.
biffo
Norfolk UK

17-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Wormholes - actually I see they have an entry
in Wikipedia which is quite interesting.

I looked them up because I too thought it was
Hollywood!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

20-02-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
Wormholes?
Dont be rude!
Donkeyman!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top