Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 01:02 AM

Re: China and HS2

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Chinese are not proposing to bring in their own Labour, just the Managers.
That's not what was said in radio interviews. The details were not specified.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's not what was said in radio interviews. The details were not specified.
Hi

The Chinese are building our new nuclear power station.

They have not brought over thousands of workers to do it, they are using UK firms.

We are incredibly incompetent with large projects.

There is no sense of urgency in the Civil Service, it is not their money.

I can say this because I was part of the system for many years.

Even the simplest cost savings are not done.

Nobody senior ever gets fired, unless they have a huge payoff and then they get another job straight away.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 09:59 AM

The Chinese are by hook or by crook taking over the world.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:39 AM

Better dig out the Chinese phrase book.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 11:09 AM

Hi

They have not brought over thousands of workers to do it, they are using UK firms.

Nobody senior ever gets fired, unless they have a huge payoff and then they get another job straight away.

I must agree with you on this Swimmy! We have become whats
called a dependency it seems? If this trend continues we will all end
up being lawyers and bankers and bull shyters??
Donkeyman!
Edit, make a binding contract and give the chinese the job!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Totally agree ST. Same here. Plans for a VFT (The really fast one) to link all major east coast cities have been on the table for decades. Nothing yet, although I think inter city train travel here is fine (THose that whinge and whine about it have not done it in some other countries in the world) The US still only has one "reasonably" high speed train between Washington, New York, Philly and Boston I think. Everybody flies here. I can think of lots of things we need first - without turning to China. They have already leased The Port of Darwin (NOt the city) for 99 years. Enough. What happened to the famous British tradition of heavy engineering? There are enough skills, brains and experience in Britain to build the VFT - Tracks, trains, stations the lot - yourself surely.?..If I were you I would ask the Germans, French and Dutch for input before China.
I would tend to agree with you in the case of ozzie krezoy! The only
advantage VFT rail travel would have is a smaller carbon footprint
than flying?
Donkeyman!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Because of Corona viruses there will be a lot of companies re-evaluating their manufacturing bases.

Keep an eye on Brazil ... makes more sense than China.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Hi

I thought you were the champion of workers rights and now you want the Chinese state to build our railways ...

China shouldn't be allowed anywhere near our power stations or anything for that matter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As it's been released to the media it means that the govt have already decided this is the way forward. Closer links to China are clearly planned post brexit. This is the warm up. In a few weeks I bet everyone will be saying what a great idea this is. Welcome to the future!
True.
We would benefit from as many trade agreements as possible now that we are leaving the Empire.
The more agreements we can obtain, the better. Apart from anything else, we have the advantage of them competing with each other for our attention!
Needless to say, I see no advantage in wasting our time hoping for anything from the EU.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Because of Corona viruses there will be a lot of companies re-evaluating their manufacturing bases.

Keep an eye on Brazil ... makes more sense than China.
We should certainly avoid expansion of trade with Brazil given what they are doing to the planet due to western demand for their resources.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top