Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 03:13 PM

Re: Are we really Overpopulated?

There are many reasons why the world is becoming overpopulated and here are a few of my thoughts....

The medical professions are finding many ways to make us live longer & new ways to assist people, who can't naturally have babies. People living longer will need more care as they become less able, where previously they would have died.
People having babies often need both parents to work so they can have housing & foods, because most of them also want their children to have all the new things like costly phones, toys and clothes.
I am sure all our parents wanted the same for us, but now they cost more in order to pay salaries to the larger number of employees who make them. Governments wont be able to solve this problem!

Perhaps we should look at wildlife who will lose some of their young because the more there are, the less food will be available. The older members of their groups, who can't keep pace with the fitter ones, will probably die at the age they always have.

We all want a good life that lasts longer but, if we continue to stay that way, we will have to accept that our lives will one day become as difficult as some of the children in the Middle East who are now hungry, cold & live in fear of those who want to take the land they live on & even kill them.

Whether you believe that climate change is caused by us, or not, it will still happen and more will die, along with all the animals. Lets hope that any survivors will have learned that we can only have a limited life on earth & life can be happy without all the extras that humans have wanted!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Sorry Twink but I must disagree....
The clip I posted explains that there are not enough babies being born now to sustain the present population...
The problem we are having now won't be a problem in the future even though mortality rates have gone up, and the reason is, because there are not enough young people to take our places. In other words, the population (especially in the UK) has spiked with our generation, and if birth rates have fallen as the video suggests, then this will follow through and there will be less old people in the next generation.

It's the old theory of 'Boom and Bust' when times were good there were more babies born, and now people would rather spend their money having a good time than raising kids (it has become unfashionable) and when you look at the emphasis on gay marriage, the old fashioned family life, of a hetrosexual couple struggling to raise a family is dying out. Too many distractions in today's world.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 10:50 PM

OGF gay people do have children .
I don t agree that people would rather spend money on having a good time than raise children .
My son says he will not have children as the world is too overpopulated as it is .
hid girlfriend seems to agree with this
They don’t spend their money on having a good time most of it goes on paying the rent .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
There are many reasons why the world is becoming overpopulated and here are a few of my thoughts....

The medical professions are finding many ways to make us live longer & new ways to assist people, who can't naturally have babies. People living longer will need more care as they become less able, where previously they would have died.
People having babies often need both parents to work so they can have housing & foods, because most of them also want their children to have all the new things like costly phones, toys and clothes.
I am sure all our parents wanted the same for us, but now they cost more in order to pay salaries to the larger number of employees who make them. Governments wont be able to solve this problem!

Perhaps we should look at wildlife who will lose some of their young because the more there are, the less food will be available. The older members of their groups, who can't keep pace with the fitter ones, will probably die at the age they always have.

We all want a good life that lasts longer but, if we continue to stay that way, we will have to accept that our lives will one day become as difficult as some of the children in the Middle East who are now hungry, cold & live in fear of those who want to take the land they live on & even kill them.

Whether you believe that climate change is caused by us, or not, it will still happen and more will die, along with all the animals. Lets hope that any survivors will have learned that we can only have a limited life on earth & life can be happy without all the extras that humans have wanted!
Hi Twink
An excellent post .
I have long thought we will all have to resign ourselves to a lower standard of living .
The planet has long been warning us this present rate of using its resources is completely unsustainable.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 07:34 AM

The problem, as I see it, is that too many people tend to congregate in the cities. That is understandable in that the cities are where the jobs are. Unfortunately, crowded cities create high rents and mortgages.

In the meantime, as has been mentioned, vast tracts of land go completely unpopulated. I don't know about the U.K , but in parts of the U.S., it is possible to drive for 120 miles (193 Km) without seeing a single building. I recall seeing a sign by the roadside , in Idaho, which said, "Next gas, 135 miles".

As far as the earth is considered, we have become too acquisitive. We want and want and want. It seems as if we can never be satisfied with what we have. When luxuries become commonplace, they become necessities.

There was a time, not so long ago, when the average man could support a wife and children and own a home on his income alone. No longer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
OGF gay people do have children .
I don t agree that people would rather spend money on having a good time than raise children .
My son says he will not have children as the world is too overpopulated as it is .
hid girlfriend seems to agree with this
They don’t spend their money on having a good time most of it goes on paying the rent .
Well if two blokes can produce a child Muddy I'll eat my hat....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-02-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The problem, as I see it, is that too many people tend to congregate in the cities. That is understandable in that the cities are where the jobs are. Unfortunately, crowded cities create high rents and mortgages.

In the meantime, as has been mentioned, vast tracts of land go completely unpopulated. I don't know about the U.K , but in parts of the U.S., it is possible to drive for 120 miles (193 Km) without seeing a single building. I recall seeing a sign by the roadside , in Idaho, which said, "Next gas, 135 miles".

As far as the earth is considered, we have become too acquisitive. We want and want and want. It seems as if we can never be satisfied with what we have. When luxuries become commonplace, they become necessities.

There was a time, not so long ago, when the average man could support a wife and children and own a home on his income alone. No longer.
Fair point bakerman, but now they have to support two or three cars, the internet, smartphones all round, a new extension or conservatory, sky telly and a couple of weeks in Tenerife or Florida.....Did I miss anything out?....Oh yes, gym subscriptions...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Hi Twink
An excellent post .
I have long thought we will all have to resign ourselves to a lower standard of living .
The planet has long been warning us this present rate of using its resources is completely unsustainable.
Thanks Muddy, if I had to put a one word reason on why we have these problems it would be GREED or Laziness!
Look on the internet and see how many people are trying to persuade us to purchase goods... then think how much power is being used to to market them to the world and transport the items.

Years ago families managed with one wage coming in and many had more than the allotted 2.1 children.... but they managed because we were not keeping people alive beyond their normal years. Marketing makes everybody want more, so we need more people to make what they sell....sadly you can't make things from nothing and that means we are exhausting the earth's supplies too quickly. These awful weather conditions will reduce food supplies.

I am glad that I lived through good times, because I believe that severe climate change will eventually kill many & restore the world to a lower number of humans....who will have to learn how to live at lower standards...... but it may be too late.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Fair point bakerman, but now they have to support two or three cars, the internet, smartphones all round, a new extension or conservatory, sky telly and a couple of weeks in Tenerife or Florida.....Did I miss anything out?....Oh yes, gym subscriptions...
I think you got the lot OGF, except the holidays take more than a
couple of weeks now?
I think you're right about our present old age bubble eventually
passing through the system, and if as you say people are having
less children, ( not sure if thats worldwide though). Then things
should sort themselves out over time??
Donkeyman!
Edit, and all of the above by courteousy ot hire purchase!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-02-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Well if two blokes can produce a child Muddy I'll eat my hat....
OGF where have you been living these last years ?
Two blokes can produce children with help from a surrogate mother .

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top