Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 08:10 PM

Re: Where is Boris?

Johnson's objective was to win the election and become Prime Minister. He has done that so job done. Now he is still working on how to be a Prime MInister...it might take a long time.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Johnson's objective was to win the election and become Prime Minister. He has done that so job done. Now he is still working on how to be a Prime MInister...it might take a long time.
He's only got till December!
Donkeyman!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Swimmy, why on earth is it the fault of a man who's only been in power for ten minutes, that we have had two storms of biblical proportions back to back, and what use would Boris possibly be down there on the front line anyway, except for eating up the time of the emergency services?

Whilst I agree with you on HS2 wholeheartedly, I just wonder how much money you would want to spend on flood defences at the expense of something else? How much, I wonder, would you need to spend for no-one to get flooded under such conditions, and let's consider anyway that whatever defences we put around towns it will only divert the water elsewhere, such as the countryside and farmland which is just as important. The quantity of water will be just the same, just the distribution is altered.

Whilst I am sure there can't be anyone who doesn't empathise with the victims of these horrendous floods, it remains the case that we will never be able to protect low lying towns and riverside areas from flooding completely.

Take the example of Upton upon Severn, who have had millions spent on flood defences in recent years but are still expecting for them to be breached later today, or even further afield to Japan, who installed 6 metre tsunami defences only to be overcome by a 10 metre tsunami. You can throw as much money as you like at flood defences, but some responsibility surely has to lie with people who buy houses in low lying areas and flood plains? The areas at the side of rivers particularly have flooded for milennia, yet still people choose to live there so explain that one to me...
Barry, At first, l thought Boris should’ve visited the flood areas but after reading your post, I totally agree with you.
The very first question l have ever asked when buying a house is, ‘Have you ever been flooded?’
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Barry, At first, l thought Boris should’ve visited the flood areas but after reading your post, I totally agree with you.
The very first question l have ever asked when buying a house is, ‘Have you ever been flooded?’
Thats brilliant ^^^
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
The very first question l have ever asked when buying a house is, ‘Have you ever been flooded?

There are plenty of maps online showing flood zones. Along with crime maps, its the first thing I did before looking to move. Of course you can never be a hundred per cent sure.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
He's only got till December!
Donkeyman!
That's ages. He can put his feet up until Nov 30th!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 07:13 PM

I don't agree with politicians visiting disaster sites and basically getting in the way for the sake of a photo shoot. What I would like to see is financial help for those that have suffered, taken from the overseas Aid budget of course.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't agree with politicians visiting disaster sites and basically getting in the way for the sake of a photo shoot. What I would like to see is financial help for those that have suffered, taken from the overseas Aid budget of course.
Me neither. I see that Commie Corbyn is waxing lyrical during his last throes as Labour leader, about Johnson's absence in flooded areas. Can't say I've seen him in Mytholmroyd or Mirfield recently.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Me neither. I see that Commie Corbyn is waxing lyrical during his last throes as Labour leader, about Johnson's absence in flooded areas. Can't say I've seen him in Mytholmroyd or Mirfield recently.
I believe Jeremy Corbyn is visiting the Welsh floods as we speak.

Johnson was probably frightened of getting his hair wet.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm surprised he managed to get out of North Kensington at all, especially visiting labour areas that wouldn't vote for him in the General Election.

But there again its unlike the left to miss an opportunity to harvest fake outrage.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top