Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Re: Warfarin - Advice Please.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I've been on Warfarin for about 10 years.

INR test approx monthly.

Reading around 2.6

Dose 4.0 for 5 days with 4.5 on Weds & Sats.

Recently told to gradually move to taking the tablets in the evening rather than morning.

Never been told to avoid any kind of food - except anything which is obviously a thinner in it's own right.

e.g. Cranberry
Hi Tedc, thank you for your reply. Yes, Cranberry is on my banned list also.
I take 4.1/2 tablets per day at 5pm every day.

I think what spooked me was the danger pointed out in the leaflet handed to me as I was leaving hospital after a second bout of Blood Clots on the Lungs. I was still feeling rather fragile whilst reading the alarming sounding leaflet stating too much vitamin K and there is a real danger of excess bleeding which can lead to death!! and too little vitamin K could lead to a Stroke!

Reassuring information EH!

So I decided to just avoid high vitamin K foods and eat food with vitamin K but in low counts. I think (although I haven't looked for a long time) that the daily count one should never go over is 90. The list I downloaded from the web gives a very comprehensive list of foods and their count. I've become used to what I can eat and what I should avoid. but I truly wish I was on Meg's tablets so I didn't have to forego my favourite vegetables.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm am currently awaiting the results of a heart scan which then the cardiologist will decide if he wants me on blood thinners as I have Afib, currently only on betablockers. When my doctor told me I might need blood thinners I told him I didn't want to be on Warfarin as I have heard negative things about it and he assured me he would put me on a different one should I need to go on them.

I'm hoping I don't need to go on them but if it might save my life and he says I should then I will.

I wonder why some people are on different thinners and if it's dangerous to eat Vit K with Warfarin I wonder why they prescribe it.

I'm not really understand too much about blood thinners at the moment as I'm not on them yet so could do to educate myself really.
Hello Lion Queen, Oh dear, I hope I haven't been too alarmist over Vitamin K. They certainly do not say to avoid foods containing Vitamin K if taking Warfarin. We all need Vitamin K for good health. The problem with Warfarin is that it iadvises the restriction of the intake of Vitamin K in certain foods such as those I have mentioned, whereas other blood thinners have no such restrictions.

Please do get reassurance next time you see Doc/Hospital, I'm sure if you do require blood thinner, they will ensure you receive every advice needed. (if they do recommend Warfarin, might be good idea to make an appointment with the Dietician just to put your mind at rest).

Hope everything goes well with your treatment. xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-02-2020, 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Mags;1859460]Mr Mags has been prescribed blood thinners for his Atrial Fibrillation, he was prescribed Rivaroxaban after declining the Warfarin.

The only thing he is not allowed to have is Grapefruit ..... he has never liked grapefruit anyway so that is not a hardship for him.[/QUOT
Thanks Mags. I do wish I had known more about the different blood thinners at the time and declined it for a more modern one. Perhaps the Doc could change it but I am loathe to go through the rough period I went through until they got the right dosage for me - again.

It would be fine if I could do as they advise and have brassica every day to keep count steady, but life isn't as perfect as that is it? One day I might be very good and have a dinner with 3 veg, one of which could include high vitamin K, but the next day have a dinner with a very low count of vitamin K. That is immediately going to send blood count all over the shop. So I just don't bother and avoid altogether.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-02-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I use Clopidogrel. Same use, different drug. Not sure if it has the saem ingredients as Warfarin.
Hi keezoy, Are there any foodstuff restriction guidelines for Clopidogrel, or are you one of the fortunate people that can eat anything?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:56 PM

I am on a daily dose of 75mg Clopidogrel following a heart attack some 11 years' ago now. No problems in all that time, thank goodness. Only one other medication I have had to avoid which is Ibuprofen. Grapefruit is the one food that has to be avoided but fortunately that is one food I am not keen on anyway.

Plenty of advice on the NHS website, link below for anyone who wishes to check anything out:

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/clopidogrel/
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:13 PM

Hi Shropshiregirl.

There is a lot of stuff I don't eat but it's mostly because I'm type 2 diabetic. I have a pacemaker/ defib implant and stents. I only have 40% heart function so I have to be careful anyway. Don't eat fatty stuff and generally watch my diet. Clopidogrel is ok with most food I think but grapefruit is not good I hear.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:50 AM

I have long understood that some of the alternatives to Warfarin cost a lot more than Warfarin does (A doctor said they could be 10 times more expensive).

Warfarin, usually, is tracked by regular blood tests, some of the others, apparently, do not require blood tests.

It annoys me that I have (1) book an INR test, by phone (can't be done on line, here! and cannot be booked more than 3 weeks in advance)) (2) Go over there and have the blood taken (3) ring in to get the results.

Over the years, I've tried many times to get to the non blood test ones.......but always failed!

Oddly, some surgeries put patients on them from the off!

Anyway, they all remind me that the Warfarin is keeping me alive!

They don't point out that the others are keeping someone else alive as well.

Note: I've even asked if I can buy the other stuff, with my own money, but they say it's not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top