Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 08:51 PM

Battle of Britain

Not sure whether anyone is watching this on Paramount. What a fabulous production. I remember watching it as a child. It's funny watching it now with all the famous faces, fantastic actors no longer with us. I'm surprised they have never made a modern version but I guess you cannot beat the original.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:05 PM

Re: Battle of Britain

Which one is it? They made one in the sixties that's shown on TV from time to time starring (dear) Larry Olivier. I remember that one because it had Susannah York in it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Which one is it? They made one in the sixties that's shown on TV from time to time starring (dear) Larry Olivier. I remember that one because it had Susannah York in it.
It's the sixties version that is on. Crikey I hadn't realised! I thought it was the classic one but I guess not, or is it also a classic?!

Anyway it's fabulous to watch.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:46 PM

I have a recording I made of the 1969 'Battle of Britain' which I recorded from a broadcast some years ago.
It is an excellent film and I have watched it again since a couple of times.

I should mention that I make no apology for having recorded over 300 films and TV programmes for my own personal use. I'm not absolutely sure whether this is illegal, but who cares?
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:55 PM

that movie was on Sony Movies channel last Friday. I watched it after coming home from work. I remember the first time i saw the movie, in my early teens when still at school. The following day the movie was the talk of the town at school and the only thing the boys who saw the movie could remember about it is a scene where you get to see Susannah York in her underwear. Ahhh red blooded teenage boys..those were the days haha.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
that movie was on Sony Movies channel last Friday. I watched it after coming home from work. I remember the first time i saw the movie, in my early teens when still at school. The following day the movie was the talk of the town at school and the only thing the boys who saw the movie could remember about it is a scene where you get to see Susannah York in her underwear. Ahhh red blooded teenage boys..those were the days haha.
Er, I'd just like to mention that that is not the reason why I have watched my recording of the film on more than one occasion!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Was Susannah piloting a Spitfire or a Hurricane?
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:47 AM

It was certainly a high point in British WWII history.

I don't recall seeing the movie, but I have read many books on the subject.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 02:11 AM

"Battle of Britain" is one of my favourite films and Susannah York one of my favourite actresses but I couldn't recall her "in her underwear".

IIRC, she appeared like this:

..... and very nice, too .....

Again, IIRC, her first full "underwear" appearance was in "The Killing Of Sister George", which also included, of course, the notorious "Baby Doll" nightdress.

Anyway, I digress ..... the real reason I love the film is that real (usually original) aircraft were used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...film)#Aircraft

The film required a large number of period aircraft. In September 1965 producers Harry Saltzman and S. Benjamin Fisz contacted former RAF Bomber Command Group Captain T.G. 'Hamish' Mahaddie to find the aircraft and arrange their use. Eventually 100 aircraft were employed, called the "35th largest air force in the world". With Mahaddie's help, the producers located 109 Spitfires in the UK, of which 27 were available although only 12 could be made flyable. Mahaddie negotiated use of six Hawker Hurricanes, of which three were flying. The film helped preserve these aircraft, including a rare Spitfire Mk II which had been a gate guardian at RAF Colerne in Wiltshire.

For the German aircraft, the producers obtained 32 CASA 2.111 twin-engined bombers, a Spanish-built version of the German Heinkel He 111H-16. They also located 27 Hispano Aviación HA-1112 M1L 'Buchon' single-engined fighters, a Spanish version of the German Messerschmitt Bf 109. The Buchons were altered to look more like correct Bf 109Es, adding mock machine guns and cannon, and redundant tailplane struts, and removing the rounded wingtips. The Spanish aircraft were powered by British Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, and thus almost all the aircraft used, British and German alike, were Merlin-powered. After the film, one HA-1112 was donated to the German Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr, and converted to a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 variant, depicting the insignias of German ace Gustav Rödel.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:38 AM

I love the music from that film.

Weren't Christopher Plummer, Patrick Wymark and Kenneth More in it as well?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top