Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Flooding Blog.

Hi

A Shrewsbury thing, but an example of how it affects people.

We have Government Ministers saying how much they have spent.

So what?

It is not working.

Current Rules are based on property values, which means that that London and the Southeast, where the Politicians and Senior Civil Servants live are very well protected and suffer minimal disruption.

We have our Environment Secretary quoting Figures of how much they have spent, which is a Nonsense.

We are spending huge amounts to protect the Elite and sod all to protect the vast majority of our population.

We have decent, honest hard working people going Bankrupt
whilst in London and the Southeast they are not affected at all.

Such is life, the promises of Boris to even up are just a Joke.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 09:31 AM

Re: Flooding Blog.

Hi

It is not just the road drains which have overflowed.

The sewers have, there is toilet paper, poo etc all over the place.

I have a dirty water pump, which is now in place.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 10:16 AM

I must admit Swimmy that I am disappointed in your logic, isn't it the easiest thing in the world to blame all of your woes in the government rather than accepting it to be the result of natural climate forces, and to blame Boris in particular is beyond ridicule, who do you think he is, King Canute...

The fact is that the quantity of rain and wind over this winter has been unprecedented and going on for biblical proportions, and no amount of money would stop that from falling and ending up in the lowest lying land, such is the law of physics. Yes we need to offer those affected a hand to clean up, but we will never stop it from happening again no matter how many flood defences we build, for the amount of water will be the just same, only the distribution will be changed.

Longer term we need to stop building on low lying ground if climate change predictions are to be believed, and that is the responsibility of every local authority, regardless of whoever lives in number ten.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-02-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I must admit Swimmy that I am disappointed in your logic, isn't it the easiest thing in the world to blame all of your woes in the government rather than accepting it to be the result of natural climate forces, and to blame Boris in particular is beyond ridicule, who do you think he is, King Canute...

The fact is that the quantity of rain and wind over this winter has been unprecedented and going on for biblical proportions, and no amount of money would stop that from falling and ending up in the lowest lying land, such is the law of physics. Yes we need to offer those affected a hand to clean up, but we will never stop it from happening again no matter how many flood defences we build, for the amount of water will be the just same, only the distribution will be changed.

Longer term we need to stop building on low lying ground if climate change predictions are to be believed, and that is the responsibility of every local authority, regardless of whoever lives in number ten.
Hi

A rare occasion we disagree Barry.

The Governments Flood Defence Spending is based on the few, not the many.

It is based on Property Prices, the equation is quite simple.

Every £ spent on Flood Defences must protect £8 of property prices.

This skews it to London and the South East.

A far fairer system is that every £ spent is based on the number of properties it protects.

Us in the North are no less valuable than those in the South.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 10:56 AM

River Thames floods.

https://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-...ames-flooding/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Hi

An update.

I have my dirty water pump running.

It can cope with poo and loo paper.

It is blocked with plastic nappies and Sanitary Towels.

Not the nicest thing to cope with.

I am fortunate in that I have the Protective gear to cope with that.

Many others do not.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
River Thames floods.

https://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-...ames-flooding/
Exactly that Mart, it all depends on where the rain falls as to where floods, nothing to do with property prices and, as I keep saying, wherever you build flood defences it will only divert water elsewhere so you are only protecting one section of the population at the expense of others. Long term we have to stop building on low ground and move away from river banks.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

Your post makes great sense but it makes me puke when various ministers faced with these type of questions tell us how much they are spending on the problem. To them this is the answer to the question telling us they are putting X amount of pounds towards putting the problem right. But when you look around you have to ask yourself "Where has this money been spent? We see nothing positive, We see no improvement" It,s not only the present problem with flooding but others as well "We are putting X amount into schools, The NHS, The Police, Railways, Road improvement etc; yet we see no 'improvements' whatsoever. So where is all this 'X amount' going? I have seen no improvement in any.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Your post makes great sense but it makes me puke when various ministers faced with these type of questions tell us how much they are spending on the problem. To them this is the answer to the question telling us they are putting X amount of pounds towards putting the problem right. But when you look around you have to ask yourself "Where has this money been spent? We see nothing positive, We see no improvement" It,s not only the present problem with flooding but others as well "We are putting X amount into schools, The NHS, The Police, Railways, Road improvement etc; yet we see no 'improvements' whatsoever. So where is all this 'X amount' going? I have seen no improvement in any.
I often wonder exactly that too. However, if it's realised that for the last ten years everything has been cut back then first the money 'put in' has to catch up with those cuts and then whatever else they say they 'put in' has to go to improvements in what by then we would have caught up on. It seems to me to be a never-ending problem until the government face what has happened over the past ten years or so.

On Sunday there was a minister, not sure who he was, on the Andrew Marr programme. He was asked outright about what is being done to stop building on flood plains. He just would not answer, other than to say that it was up to local planning. When informed that budgets for local planning had been cut to the point where they cannot deal properly with planning for building on flood plains he still would not state categorically that building in these areas will be stopped, which is what is needed I believe. Typical response to a straight question – don't answer but make out it's someone else's problem!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Hi

The current state of play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51611485

There is no way we can get into Town for my sons Medical Assessment

We have connected them and he will be Sanctioned for a Month even though they are not open.

So much for the Boris promise of everyone being Equal.

He is a lying git and he should now expect trouble.

He will get it in Spades.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top