Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:34 PM

Re: Flooding Blog.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The current state of play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51611485

There is no way we can get into Town for my sons Medical Assessment

We have connected them and he will be Sanctioned for a Month even though they are not open.

So much for the Boris promise of everyone being Equal.

He is a lying git and he should now expect trouble.

He will get it in Spades.
I'm sorry for your troubles Swimmy but you cannot blame every ill in your life on someone who's only been in power a few months and has a huge "to do" list, like the rest of us you really need to give the bloke a chance...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Some of the problem is as has already been stated, building on flood plains in towns, but farms are affected too & solitary houses build hundreds of years ago before all this different weather happened. It really isn't that simple to stop it & make places safe from flooding.
I don't know the answer, but drains need to be cleaned out regularly & rivers dredged which hopefully might help.
It's strange that some rivers flood & others never do.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 01:22 PM

I'd love to know who gave the go ahead for the 11k homes in the news today to be built on flood plains? Surely such builds should simply be banned outright?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm sorry for your troubles Swimmy but you cannot blame every ill in your life on someone who's only been in power a few months and has a huge "to do" list, like the rest of us you really need to give the bloke a chance...
Hi

I do not Barry, however he has been part of the System for years and has bragged about the success of Flood Prevention in London.

He has no Magic Wand to wave, he does however have the power to release vast amounts of Government Money to help those affected.

He has not done so.

He is nowhere to be seen, unlike when he was campaigning to become Prime Minister.

It will take time to put the defences in place.

There is no sign that he is even bothered.

An example of how callous the Government is.

It is simply impossible for Claimants to get to the Job Centre, they are now having their Benefits stopped.

This is not the actions of a caring Government.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'd love to know who gave the go ahead for the 11k homes in the news today to be built on flood plains? Surely such builds should simply be banned outright?
To ban such developments must be the answer. That should have happened years and years ago in my opinion. Flood plains are there for, as the name suggests, to take excess water when rivers flood. However, that land would probably be far cheaper to buy than land where it doesn't flood so developers buy the cheaper land. It doesn't take a genius to work our why that is!

Once the houses are built the developers probably want nothing to do with the flooding problems, it's left to the householders to deal with it, or not as seems to be the case in a lot of areas, so they stand to lose everything. Also the next year they find because of the very high risk they cannot get flood insurance either.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
River Thames floods.

https://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-...ames-flooding/
Itlooks as it all the places in the thames floods are all above the
Teddington weir and lock Mart, surely the level of the river above
this weir is CONTROLLED by the weir, not by the rainfall, unless the
rainfall vastly exceeds the flow of the weir! which l dont think is
the case?
Or am l missing something??
Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I do not Barry, however he has been part of the System for years and has bragged about the success of Flood Prevention in London.

He has no Magic Wand to wave, he does however have the power to release vast amounts of Government Money to help those affected.

He has not done so.

He is nowhere to be seen, unlike when he was campaigning to become Prime Minister.

It will take time to put the defences in place.

There is no sign that he is even bothered.

An example of how callous the Government is.

It is simply impossible for Claimants to get to the Job Centre, they are now having their Benefits stopped.

This is not the actions of a caring Government.

You cant blame Boris for anything yet Swimmy!He's not had time to
write a cheque yet! However he does tend to indulge in flights of
fancy and will need strict control to keep him pointing the right way!
Maybe they should take some of the money recently allocated to
HS2 to start some meaningfull work on flood defences?
And allocate say £60B to finish the first section of HS2!
That would also create an incentive to the contractors to try and
contain their costs, instead of as now,just create a projected cost
and use that as a starting point for pricing?

Donkeyman!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:10 PM

I would like to see the planning officers' faces if a developer submitted plans for houses on stilts to be built on flood plains.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Hi

The latest.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...ls-rise-again/

We are hours away from the peak.

Ten years of Conservative Government and they have spent the money in London and the South East.

Sod the rest of us.

Are the rest of us really only worth !0% of those in London?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Itlooks as it all the places in the thames floods are all above the
Teddington weir and lock Mart, surely the level of the river above
this weir is CONTROLLED by the weir, not by the rainfall, unless the
rainfall vastly exceeds the flow of the weir! which l dont think is
the case?
Or am l missing something??
Donkeyman!
I think, in these cases, there is so much rain that it gets beyond any control. Also, as pointed out, let the water away from one place and it only goes to another to cause trouble. My point was though that it isn't just the north where flooding gets out of control. We're no more protected or special in the south than those living in the north.

I highlight 2013-14 again. A time when the Thames and another local river flooded the area. I expect they will again if we get enough rain.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/all-about/surrey-floods

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top