Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 05:02 PM

Re: Flooding Blog.

Hi

We are now cut off

We have another 3 ft of water to rise.

The sewers, miles away from the River ,cannot cope.

The littlies have been coming out of School to walk through raw sewage, not good.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...or-shrewsbury/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 05:04 PM

Oh! Goodness that is terrible, Swimmy.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 08:58 AM

I hope swimfeeders is OK. The last post didn't sound good. Electricity supplies or anything could go under such conditions.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:32 PM

I just read the latest on the link Swimmy posted, it is getting worse there.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:10 PM

I agree with what the OP said and even though I am not affected think it is shameful how those poor people have been treated .
But they cannot blame the government when they voted them in causing misery for the rest of us. We relied on Northerers but all those red seats have turned blue.
The chickens have come home to roost and it didn't take long.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Hi

I am fine thanks.

I managed to get Guy to town this morning and he is back safely

He did have to walk a fair way,however.

All trains have now stopped running, the three shopping centres are shut

The bus station is closed, drop offs at three points outside the flooding zone.

Buses and HGVs are unable to get into town for the second day, so no fresh deliveries.

There is a huge amount of of water still to come down, it is currently flowing at a rate of 400 tons a second.

The river level has to fall by 6ft to stop properties being flooded

At least I can get in and out of the road now, which is good.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A Shrewsbury thing, but an example of how it affects people.

We have Government Ministers saying how much they have spent.

So what?

It is not working.

Current Rules are based on property values, which means that that London and the Southeast, where the Politicians and Senior Civil Servants live are very well protected and suffer minimal disruption.

We have our Environment Secretary quoting Figures of how much they have spent, which is a Nonsense.

We are spending huge amounts to protect the Elite and sod all to protect the vast majority of our population.

We have decent, honest hard working people going Bankrupt
whilst in London and the Southeast they are not affected at all.

Such is life, the promises of Boris to even up are just a Joke.

With respect, it's unfair to blame Boris for everything Swimmy. He isn't responsible for this terrible rain we have had in the last 3 weeks. How is he to blame?

Besides, the Frankwell Car Park and the street leading to it in Shrewsbury floods every single time we have a deluge of rain. It has always been thus. I appreciate it is far more serious this time, but businesses and homes near Frankwell know full well what they can expect every winter. Only strangers to the town park in that car park when the weather is as it is now. All locals know that if you want your car washed away or written off, park there at your peril.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I must admit Swimmy that I am disappointed in your logic, isn't it the easiest thing in the world to blame all of your woes in the government rather than accepting it to be the result of natural climate forces, and to blame Boris in particular is beyond ridicule, who do you think he is, King Canute...

The fact is that the quantity of rain and wind over this winter has been unprecedented and going on for biblical proportions, and no amount of money would stop that from falling and ending up in the lowest lying land, such is the law of physics. Yes we need to offer those affected a hand to clean up, but we will never stop it from happening again no matter how many flood defences we build, for the amount of water will be the just same, only the distribution will be changed.

Longer term we need to stop building on low lying ground if climate change predictions are to be believed, and that is the responsibility of every local authority, regardless of whoever lives in number ten.
Exactly and if we didn't have to worry about the tens of thousands of people entering the Country, we wouldn't need to build all these new homes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:23 PM

Easter floods 1998 when Labour were in power

Boscastle Floods 2004 when Labour were still in power.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 06:12 PM

It doesn't matter which party is in power, the opposition will blame natural disasters on them. If we had an erupting volcano here, the opposition would be there blaming the ruling party for not putting up lava defences.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top