Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Re: The best film ever made ?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I found it interesting that warden "Hadley" , is spite of his professed Christianity, was the ultimate evil. Ironically, far more evil than any of the inmates. A half dozen times during the film, warden "Hadley" made reference to his Christianity.
two interesting segments of the film were the needle-point sign on his wall; "His judgement cometh and that right soon". This foretold a judgement, but at the time we did not suspect that the judgement was to be warden "Hadley's" judgement.
And when Hadley went rushing to his safe and opened up what he thought was the record of his laundered scheming, it turned out to be The Holy Bible. First, Hadley saw a note from Andy saying, "Warden, You were right. Salvation lay within". He next flipped though The Bible and it opened onto the book, "Exodus"
Warden Norton..Captain of the guard Hadley. Sorry to be a pedant. But it's my favourite movie.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 11:46 AM

"Shawshank" and "The Green Mile" are two of my favourite films and they are certainly the two best adaptations of Steven King's work ever made. I'm not sure whether "Shawshank" is the best movie ever, though. There are so many amazing movies to pick from and it is such a subjective choice. At present, having watched it again over the weekend, I would say that "Casablanca" would be my choice, but tomorrow it might be something completely different.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 11:47 AM

I saw it recently for the first time and thought it was a great film. Is it the best ever made?.... not sure about that. I think it is one of those film where once you know the ending (the twist) you don't need to see it again for a long long time.

There is a film which I would happily watch once a week for the rest of my life and that is 'Apollo 13'. Ok, so we know the story but the direction (Ron Howard) is superb. A close second is 'Zulu'.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 11:58 AM

I couldn't put my top dozen films in any kind of order, but Shawshank would certainly rank up there with Green Mile, Green Book, Gladiator, Jaws, A Few Good Men and Local Hero...Like d00d says, it's the frame of mind you are in at the time...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:04 PM

Shawshank is definitely up there at the top of the best films I've ever seen along with Green Mile.

I have to say though as much as I enjoyed Shawshank, Hacksaw Ridge was up there at the top too, true story too. The true story of Pfc. Desmond T. Doss (Andrew Garfield), who won the Congressional Medal of Honor despite refusing to bear arms during WWII on religious grounds.
I can HIGHLY recommend that movie if you haven't seen it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 04:50 PM

I haven't watched it, but I will now!

My favourites are, The Color Purple, Secret Life of Bees and Snow Falling on Cedars hopefully I can add Shawshank to my list
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:31 PM

For me, it was "The Man Who Would be King"
Sean Connery and Michael Caine.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 06:21 PM

Keezoy, You are correct. Your memory is better than mine.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 07:57 PM

I too think Shawshank is brilliant but there are so many good ones.

I have a soft spot for 'The theory of everything' (Stephen Hawkins life story)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Shawshank is definitely up there at the top of the best films I've ever seen along with Green Mile.

I have to say though as much as I enjoyed Shawshank, Hacksaw Ridge was up there at the top too, true story too. The true story of Pfc. Desmond T. Doss (Andrew Garfield), who won the Congressional Medal of Honor despite refusing to bear arms during WWII on religious grounds.
I can HIGHLY recommend that movie if you haven't seen it.
Yes Lion Queen, I forgot about 'Hacksaw Ridge' brilliant film and what a brave bloke......I'd watch that again and again.....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top