Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Re: Silicone Poaching Cups.

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Just been looking on google SG, I cant find anthing like l mentioned
but l saw some silicone rings with handles that would work ok,
and they are cheap, just £1-- 89, for two, l think l will get a couple?
Looks like you remove them from the pan with an egg slice like we
used to! If donkeywoman gets them l will let you know if they work!
Donkeyman!
Thanks Donkeyman, I did try lifting them with my largest scoop shaped ladle, but those rubbery devils were falling sideways as I turned to put them onto the kitchen papered plate. I really need something that once I lower them into the water I have complete control of them and my hands nowhere near the water as they are now, and when taken out, remain rigid in the item holding them.

I guess these individual poaching cups will eventually end up where the only other silicone item I possessed did after just one use - a cupcake tray - which was so much fuss to remove the cakes compared to my ordinary tin tray, it was 80p into the swearbox and rapidly consigned to the bin!
I'm afraid I don't have any patience with things that don't do as the label promises.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 03:10 PM

I tried the silicone cups some years ago , they were bright green a waste of time...

The secret of a good poached egg is they must be really fresh so the whites stay together..
Eggs from shops rarely are fresh.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I tried the silicone cups some years ago , they were bright green a waste of time...

The secret of a good poached egg is they must be really fresh so the whites stay together..
Eggs from shops rarely are fresh.
Agree Meg, my eggs are farm fresh collected twice a week, big beautiful golden yellow yolks and the smallest of albumem around the yolk. I only wish the person cooking them (moi), was as efficient as the hens that laid them!!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:20 PM

I've stuck to my mums old poaching pan where you have about 2 inches of water in the bottom, a slightly greased poaching egg cup (up to 4) are fitted into a holder and it sits above the water, when it boils turn the heat way down and put the lid on. The eggs are steamed and turn out excellent each time.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_794xN.1788086047_rhtl.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	11689  
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:20 PM

You won't catch me poaching!
It's illegal!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:23 AM

I've never used any "aids" to poaching. Just use a small frying pan with about 1/2 inch of boiling slightly salted water and a dash of vinegar and break the eggs carefully into the water. I don't eat poached eggs myself but my OH says they are perfect!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:43 AM

I prefer my eggs fried, preferably in bacon fat.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top