Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:20 PM

Re: Charity adverts and celebs

When I took my dad shopping this morning we saw a homeless person sat on the floor outside Tesco and it broke my heart. It was freezing cold so I told dad to wait inside the bank for me and I would be back shortly. I then went next door to Greggs bakers and I bought the person a takeaway hot coffee and a warm sausage roll. When I crossed the road to give my gift of warmth for this person it really upset me to find it was an elderly woman , as I handed her the coffee she gave me the biggest smile as she said thank you. I smiled back then walked away with tears in my eyes.

When I got back to dad in the bank he asked what I was doing, I told him and he promptly told me to go with him to the lady and he gave her 2 pounds of his pension that he had just drawn out of the bank. Bless my dad.

We were responsible for two big smiles this morning and that felt good but how wrong is it in this country in this day and age is it that an old lady probably in her 60s had to resort to begging.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 05:06 PM

Well done LQ
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am so sick of celebrities coming on pleading for money for Christmas charities .
I dont need Joanna Lumney or whoever to tell me to give money .
We can't save the world even though Bob Geldoff has had a good try
And after all that Africa is still in a mess .
I am sorry for all the little children in war zones but we can't help them all.
I have no problem with giving and give what I can afford to various charities .
I am just fed up with being made to feel responsible for all the worlds ills .
No wonder people end it all it's incredibly depressing .
They put things on TV (Religious organizations especially)to make a person feel "guilty" or feel badly for these people.

BUT, I have noticed myself, that some of the organizations are posting videos from 10 or 20 years ago....and I know this as I know what that preacher looks like now, and then I see him and his wife in the video and they are much younger...

So don't anyone be fooled by some of those videos as they are old, and they are just putting them on to get us to send more and more money.

I know of one preacher on TV, who has black hair in one of those videos and his wife is a red head......but on his TV program is a gray haired man and his wife has blonde highlights........so obviously they are posting old videos...can't trust some of them........
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
When I took my dad shopping this morning we saw a homeless person sat on the floor outside Tesco and it broke my heart. It was freezing cold so I told dad to wait inside the bank for me and I would be back shortly. I then went next door to Greggs bakers and I bought the person a takeaway hot coffee and a warm sausage roll. When I crossed the road to give my gift of warmth for this person it really upset me to find it was an elderly woman , as I handed her the coffee she gave me the biggest smile as she said thank you. I smiled back then walked away with tears in my eyes.

When I got back to dad in the bank he asked what I was doing, I told him and he promptly told me to go with him to the lady and he gave her 2 pounds of his pension that he had just drawn out of the bank. Bless my dad.

We were responsible for two big smiles this morning and that felt good but how wrong is it in this country in this day and age is it that an old lady probably in her 60s had to resort to begging.
The police caught a bunch of so called homeless people getting changed into suitable scruffy clothing in a multi story car park here in Edinburgh. Go along Princes Street here and there seems to be a beggar every few yards and they all seem to be east European.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 07:28 PM

I don’t normally see all the adverts because l record most stuff but l was watching normal television yesterday. It might have been Sky News as l wanted to hear about Grace Millane who is missing in New Zealand.
It was during the breaks that l noticed how we have been bombarded with these charity adverts. They are not short adverts, they are long.
I noticed also, they use the children with the largest and saddest eyes.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
The police caught a bunch of so called homeless people getting changed into suitable scruffy clothing in a multi story car park here in Edinburgh. Go along Princes Street here and there seems to be a beggar every few yards and they all seem to be east European.
To be fair MrF I do believe the lady was Eastern European but all the same it was freezing this morning, so surely as elderly as she was surely she wouldn't camp out in the freezing cold for the sake of it.

Yes, I suppose I could have been made a mug of but my intention was a good one.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:24 PM

I am continuously puzzled as to why they think a "celebrity" is more likely to make people donate than an "ordinary" person. I couldn't care less about celebrities - they might be a singer, newsreader or an actor... so what?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->

They sit outside most of the supermarkets round here now.
I used to feel so sorry for them, but I have become more wary of late.

I would never give them money, but have given them food before now.
I have seen them sitting there smoking, and fags are so expensive, and if they are that hard up why waste the money on fags?

Then a couple of weeks ago, a man on the check outs at Asda told me the 'homeless' man who sits outside there was seen getting into a BMW one afternoon!

It has made me a lot more wary now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Many years ago when I used to travel on the tube in London, there was a Romanian woman who used to ride the train every day with a piece of paper with 'Please give money' written on it. After being hassled a few times, I made my own sign with 'No' written on it which I produced next time I was asked.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top