Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Re: Battery charging

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Tiddlers! We made chargers up to 10,000A, 600V.........

oooooooooooooooooh
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 02:51 PM

Tiddlers! We made chargers up to 10,000A, 600V.........
What sort of things were they used with?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What sort of things were they used with?
Various applications.
Float grass production line backup for example. If the main drives stopped the line would come to a halt, the glass would solidify in the furnace and it would take weeks to clear it out and back into production. So there was a massive battery backup to keep the line running.

Another application was telecom exchanges. Lots of capacity and extremely ripple voltage ripple. Technically challenging - and getting it wrong was not an option.

One that sticks in my mind was in Bermuda. Shame that it was so reliable and I never got to go there.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is true. I now have cameras that charge by USB rather than a separate battery charger.
I was peeved to find no charger came with my Lumix GX80 .... I might buy one and a spare battery at the same time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Various applications.
Float grass production line backup for example. If the main drives stopped the line would come to a halt, the glass would solidify in the furnace and it would take weeks to clear it out and back into production. So there was a massive battery backup to keep the line running.

Another application was telecom exchanges. Lots of capacity and extremely ripple voltage ripple. Technically challenging - and getting it wrong was not an option.

One that sticks in my mind was in Bermuda. Shame that it was so reliable and I never got to go there.
Ah, I wondered whether it might be something to do with railway locomotives, being you mentioned 600V. But of course, they don't use batteries (I assume) but take the current from overhead lines or rails.

Interestingly, although electricity is the most expensive domestic fuel, electric motors in locomotives (and trams) are very efficient and seem able to accelerate very quickly.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I was peeved to find no charger came with my Lumix GX80 .... I might buy one and a spare battery at the same time.
I always buy a spare battery with a new camera but I have already bought chargers for the new cameras from Ebay
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Interestingly, although electricity is the most expensive domestic fuel, electric motors in locomotives (and trams) are very efficient and seem able to accelerate very quickly.
Electric motors do accelerate very quickly. Remember the London Trolley buses? if you jumped on those as they took off you could end up hanging off the pole on the back platform like a flag
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-12-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Electric motors do accelerate very quickly. Remember the London Trolley buses? if you jumped on those as they took off you could end up hanging off the pole on the back platform like a flag
No, but I remember the Bradford trolley buses!

They were blue and cream and went even faster!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Anyone else find they are charging things more than living these days. End of day I am looking round to make sure everyone has remembered to plug in everything they need for the following day and the list gets longer and longer ! It's messy too, wires and chargers and extension leads to them.
It is true, unfortunately. The sooner everything is charged via USB-C the better in terms of different wires needed. Of course Apple is different, although I find Apple stuff very easy to charge.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It is true, unfortunately. The sooner everything is charged via USB-C the better in terms of different wires needed. Of course Apple is different, although I find Apple stuff very easy to charge.
But not quite so easy to pay for!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top