Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Re: Article on Batley, my home town

Originally Posted by lion queen ->
how long ago was that joe?
1986/87
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 11:39 AM

We are all in austerity (in the sh*te), our towns are dying, our services, libraries, surgeries, hospitals, police; There are more homeless people than ever before and more people using the food banks. Our rubbish is collected every three weeks if you are lucky resulting in more rats and disease. The elderly have been abandoned and the mentally ill roam the streets.

So what is Britain's answer to that? To continue sending billions of pounds abroad in foreign aid.

Pretty soon we will end up like the Countries we are trying to help.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We are all in austerity (in the sh*te), our towns are dying, our services, libraries, surgeries, hospitals, police; There are more homeless people than ever before and more people using the food banks. Our rubbish is collected every three weeks if you are lucky resulting in more rats and disease. The elderly have been abandoned and the mentally ill roam the streets.

So what is Britain's answer to that? To continue sending billions of pounds abroad in foreign aid.

Sadly I can't disagree with that.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 06:34 PM

I have to agree I used to work in the Batley area and Morley most of these areas have been in decline for over 40 years in the 60's and early 70's I worked on Asquith Ave Morley in an old Mill Deanfield sadly it burnt down we moved there from Leeds as the rents were so cheap and we sold all our property on Whitehall road to Elida Gibb or Soapy Joes as it was called now theres nothing left on Whitehall Road they moved out to the Coal Road in Leeds again because it was cheap
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I told my Dad that it feels like we are living through a Depression, life really has gotten awful.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:58 AM

The pictures in the article were dire what era were they taken ?
I don t understand why this is in decline as it is only seven miles from Leeds and Bradford .
Surely there is work in these towns?

Just had another look at the article and see these pics were taken in 1974
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The pictures in the article were dire what era were they taken ?
I don t understand why this is in decline as it is only seven miles from Leeds and Bradford .
Surely there is work in these towns?

Just had another look at the article and see these pics were taken in 1974
Hi

Parts of Leeds and Bradford are also in decline Muddy.

Boarded up, vandalised houses which used to be occupied by Doctors, Solicitors etc.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Actually I'm not as pessimistic as most here...there still seems to be plenty of work about for those willing to work albeit not overly well paid and some area's of Leeds are on the up ....you just have to look at how full the restaurants and bars are in Leeds and surrounding areas particularly at weekends and it seems to be thriving.

It's true some places are in decline though...especially the old mill towns.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Parts of all cities have rough areas .
And I have to say that Bradford sounds distinctly un inviting ( I have never been there and probaby never will)
But Leeds i had heard quite a lot going for it being a university town with historic buildings and lovely countryside around .
Or so I understand .
I went there once many years ago ( I was offered place at Leeds Univeristy ) but did not take it up.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually I'm not as pessimistic as most here...there still seems to be plenty of work about for those willing to work albeit not overly well paid and some area's of Leeds are on the up ....you just have to look at how full the restaurants and bars are in Leeds and surrounding areas particularly at weekends and it seems to be thriving.

It's true some places are in decline though...especially the old mill towns.

It's true I took Mr M up to see Wigan Pier .
Which I remembered as being a great tourist draw with a living museum .
The great wheel ate Trenchfield mill and the George Orwell Pub on the canal Bank .
To our disappointment it was all shut down .
The mill made into luxury apartments the rest of the buildings looked as if they had been derelict for years .

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top