Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 03:28 AM

Christmas tat.

All this Christmas tat about there are even shops devoted to all things Christmas full of it.
Most of it produced in sweat shops and will end up polluting the oceans .
Troubling .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 07:47 AM

Re: Christmas tat.

There is certainly a very big 'tide' of Christmas trash around out there...and only set to grow. It's the environment and wildlife I feel for. Why can't humans just curb their attitudes to -'think" about what they're doing for a change.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:15 AM

There is one way to reduce the Christmas mad wast fest .
Don't give Christmas presents .
Or at least restrict it to children or those in need.
My sons are with me in this they beg people NOT to give them gifts .
They have what they need if they don't they buy it hthemselves.
One son has been angered year after year by his MILs spending buying loads of gifts for the children ( who after day one don't bother with them and gifts for him that he doesn't want .
The other struggles with his girlfriends need to buy him something expensive .
That he doesn't want .
My sons are not materialistic in that way.

Goodness knows how this mad consumer drive has come about it's a long way from the lowly cattle shed .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Another thing that to me is a racket is the Christmas animal project promoted by Oxfam .
Give a cow or a goat or a chicken .
Of course this is just another ways of saying give money .
There is no guarantee they will actually go out and buy a goat for poor people they will use it as they feel the need.
Goats being notorious desert makers are not exactly environmentally sound in any case
Apart from anything
I don't even like the thought of animals in third world countries where they will have a horrible life and cruel death .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Hi

Christmas Presents this year.

Guy has got a Go Kart Session and an Escape Room Session for him and his 3 mates.

Nadi has got Dancing Lessons.

Jakob, the autistic one, has got Horse Riding Lessons.

The littlies, the really small ones, have got craft kits, paints, glue and sparkles.

That is that.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Well we haven't got any one to buy for now, as its now only Myself, Hubby and Coco, so the only presents to buy with be for Coco, my Hubby has given me money.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 09:05 AM

I wish I could join you in the no presents rule muddy...especially for adults I can understand the joy of Christmas for children opening presents on Christmas morning....it has all got a bit out of hand though.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 09:52 AM

I like to buy presents that people actually need or will be sure to use, eg. craft items for their hobbies.
Most of my decorations are home made and will be used every year. My tree gets planted in the garden after Xmas.
I don't see the sense in those gift sets etc. that end up in charity shops or ornaments (I like to pick ones that suit my taste in decor). There is far too much rubbish that's given and discarded.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Can't imagine not giving presents to the entire family but none of it's tat, all home crafted nothing commercially made allowed. All our decorations are home made and some pretty ancient too. I think only thing we do buy every ten years or so is new tinsel and the old stuff is used in craft projects so very little wasted. I do think we can all do a greener Christmas without forgetting to give presents to everyone we love.

A lot in the shops isn't just not green it's down right dangerous, how it gets past the tests etc I don't know.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I like to buy presents that people actually need or will be sure to use, eg. craft items for their hobbies.
Most of my decorations are home made and will be used every year. My tree gets planted in the garden after Xmas.
I don't see the sense in those gift sets etc. that end up in charity shops or ornaments (I like to pick ones that suit my taste in decor). There is far too much rubbish that's given and discarded.
Bath crap has always been pointless IMO. As you say, most of it ends up in charity shops anyway or if you are lucky, you might use the sandalwood body spritz over the next five years or so.

What about talcum powder... does anyone still use that?

Plus of course they are all packed in loved bubbled plastic and lots of wasted cardboard. Time to get rid of them I say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top