Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 04:53 PM

Re: Smart meters yay or nay.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They will force us eventually
No they can't ever force you to have a device attached to your house.

Even the existing meter you have is optional. If you wanted, you could instruct your energy company to come and remove it and to cap off the gas supply or electricity supply.

You'd be without gas/electric of course but you wouldn't have a meter attached to your house.

These are life choices we are going to have to face. With Agenda 21 in full flow looking to reduce the population down to a few million, you either lay down and die at their hands, or you stand up and take whatever actions you need to take.

Whether or not anyone opts to have a Smart Meter they WILL have the problem of being irradiated by neighbours Smart Meters. You may need to put shielding material on your house wall or in a couple of rooms to protect yourself from the strong Smart Meter signals all around you which will get worse and worse as the roll out continues.

In the case of our Canadian friend earlier, again it's a life choice. If you don't want a Smart Meter, and if there are no energy companies that will provide electricity without installing one, then kick them all into touch, have your meter removed and get solar panels and ground source heating installed. Might be initially costly but will pay off. Or you could go for a rent-a-roof style outfit who will fit the panels freely but you'll be stuck during the night when the sun has disappeared.

Better to buy or indeed make your own solar panels if you can and get off grid. It's all about priorities.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
No they can't ever force you to have a device attached to your house.

Even the existing meter you have is optional. If you wanted, you could instruct your energy company to come and remove it and to cap off the gas supply or electricity supply.

You'd be without gas/electric of course but you wouldn't have a meter attached to your house.

These are life choices we are going to have to face. With Agenda 21 in full flow looking to reduce the population down to a few million, you either lay down and die at their hands, or you stand up and take whatever actions you need to take.

Whether or not anyone opts to have a Smart Meter they WILL have the problem of being irradiated by neighbours Smart Meters. You may need to put shielding material on your house wall or in a couple of rooms to protect yourself from the strong Smart Meter signals all around you which will get worse and worse as the roll out continues.

In the case of our Canadian friend earlier, again it's a life choice. If you don't want a Smart Meter, and if there are no energy companies that will provide electricity without installing one, then kick them all into touch, have your meter removed and get solar panels and ground source heating installed. Might be initially costly but will pay off. Or you could go for a rent-a-roof style outfit who will fit the panels freely but you'll be stuck during the night when the sun has disappeared.

Better to buy or indeed make your own solar panels if you can and get off grid. It's all about priorities.
Great idea.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Don't have a smart meter. Why? because at peak times they can alter the price and increase it without your knowledge.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I'm on a pay as you go meter,I wonder if I would benefit,from a pay as you go smart meter?
My daughter has a pre payment meter too, I was talking to a gas engineer last week, he'd come to move our meter and I asked him if you could be made to have one, the answer was no. He told me that with a pre payment one you could no longer pop to the shop with your card to top up, it was done with an App on a Smart Phone or online. Just what all the poor people who need one of these meters need to hear..... Not. Not everyone has the access to the Internet or has a Smart Phone.
They will not be putting one in this house nor in my own home in Perth, no way, no how.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 08:41 PM

No smart meters here thank you . You have the right to decline having one.
Having one would not lower the cost of my bills by one penny because I only use the electricity I need and I don't need any meter to remind me of what I am using. I can't afford to do otherwise and I would have thought many other people are the same.

I read my own meter every month and send in the reading. My bills are never estimated.

Once a large number of people have smart meters installed the power companies will be able to manipulate the cost of power to their benefit making it more expensive at peak times. One power company boss let that little detail slip when being interviewed on the radio some years ago.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No smart meters here thank you . You have the right to decline having one.
Having one would not lower the cost of my bills by one penny because I only use the electricity I need and I don't need any meter to remind me of what I am using. I can't afford to do otherwise and I would have thought many other people are the same.

I read my own meter every month and send in the reading. My bills are never estimated.

Once a large number of people have smart meters installed the power companies will be able to manipulate the cost of power to their benefit making it more expensive at peak times. One power company boss let that little detail slip when being interviewed on the radio some years ago.

I agree with you Meg, I'm the same.
I never pay an estimated bill.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have my gas and electricity supplied with e-on. I just had to phone them to give my requested meter readings, as their online system did not work.
The person on the other end of the phone tried to talk me into having a smart meter.
Now I have been told in the past that if I had one from the supplier, I would have to stick to this supplier.
I was told today that that is not so and the meter is fitted for free, and not liable to stick with the supplier that fitted the meter.
Can anyone confirm this?
Wouldn't have one as a gift, Emjay.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My daughter has a pre payment meter too, I was talking to a gas engineer last week, he'd come to move our meter and I asked him if you could be made to have one, the answer was no. He told me that with a pre payment one you could no longer pop to the shop with your card to top up, it was done with an App on a Smart Phone or online. Just what all the poor people who need one of these meters need to hear..... Not. Not everyone has the access to the Internet or has a Smart Phone.
They will not be putting one in this house nor in my own home in Perth, no way, no how.
Thanks for that information,Roxy,..I think I will pass on it,the only reason I have a pre payment meter is,..because I don't trust myself with the electricity,it holds £49 a time,..the key,costs more in the long run,but at least I don't have to keep checking my meter,(which is outside by the way),....my heating is on full blast,when I'm at home,in the winter,..no way will I skimp on keeping warm.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Maybe in ‘your’ country nobody can force you to get a smart metre but here in Canada our metres are owned by the electrical company and we had no choice. What I did to protect us from the health issues related to them, was bought a smart metre cover or protector.
Health issues? What health issues? don't they just use the mobile phone network?

The Australian government have just introduced a $10000 fine for companies refusing to install smart meters when the consumer requests it.

I don't know the details of the fine (it was on the wireless) but it is because the electricity companies have been on a go slow installing them on houses so they avoid having to pay the home owner for the solar electricity they supply to the grid.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 01:24 PM

Little aside when we had our gas capped off by British gas back in the 80s our cooker had been condemned and that was only thing we had that was gas. They came along did the job rather grudgingly. Next 2 years we fought about them continuing to send us bills, estimated ones obviously. Ended up in court where the judge told them off harshly and awarded us a couple of hundred for our worry and trouble.

So if you do have it capped off don't assume that's end of your bills

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top