Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 06:02 AM

Re: Cider with Rosie

You read ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 07:50 AM

It was required 'English Literature' read and discuss when I was at Grammar School, and I have the DVD. Good for when I am feeling nostalgic!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 07:50 AM

I always find these 20th century supposed 'classics' to be very disappointing....like 'Catcher in the rye' or 'To kill a mocking bird' for instance
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 08:01 AM

These are books that exercise the mind .
To Kill a mockingbird especially is a great book giving a unique insight into America in that era and was far ahead of its time re racial issues .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
These are books that exercise the mind .
To Kill a mockingbird especially is a great book giving a unique insight into America in that era and was far ahead of its time re racial issues .
There are lots and lots of books that do that Muddy !
TKAM was by no means unique
First and foremost a book has to be well-written and unputdownable...it has to grab your attention and command you to read it, neither of the two I referred to do that !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 08:41 AM

I have very little time for art, book and film critics, all they can offer is their own opinion. Over the years I have read many books that I couldn't put down, but hardly any of them were the classics...... they were just books that grabbed my attention. Reading the right books is no better than drinking the right wines, so comes down to basic snobbery. How sad that such individuals are governed by the majority's opinion rather than forming their own.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have very little time for art, book and film critics, all they can offer is their own opinion. Over the years I have read many books that I couldn't put down, but hardly any of them were the classics...... they were just books that grabbed my attention. Reading the right books is no better than drinking the right wines, so comes down to basic snobbery. How sad that such individuals are governed by the majority's opinion rather than forming their own.
An excellent post Twinkle I agree with every syllable !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=malcolm;961304]There are lots and lots of books that do that Muddy !
TKAM was by no means unique
First and foremost a book has to be well-written and unputdownable...it has to grab your attention and command you to read it, neither of the two I referred to do that ![/QUOTE]

For you perhaps malcolm, others will have a different experience to your opinon.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 08:52 AM

One of my favourite books of all time. Still re-read it occasionally. Think there was also a television version........
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It was standard reading when I was at college, but I canīt honestly say I enjoyed it, I certainly never wanted to read it twice.
Same here. I was forced to read it under pain of death just to pass a course as it was required reading at school. I enjoy reading, when its something I want to read. But this was done under threat and I had to literally strain every ounce of willpower to drag my eyes over it and couldn't wait to ditch it. It may be some classic of sorts, but it was one of them books which very nearly put me off reading for life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top