Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 10:05 PM

Stocks and Shares?

For a number of weeks I have been dabbling in shares. Thankfully this has only been with PRACTICE accounts. Not really got anywhere, except I have learned a great deal about all sorts of things. I have been in no rush as I know you can lose the shirt off your back in no time at all. Anyway, I took my new found knowledge to a new type of stock trading - Spread / Bet. Applied the newly acquired knowledge to this very risky form of trading and guess what? I made £1520 today on 1 deal . This was from a starting point of £10,000 (they allow you this amount on the practice account).

Sh .............. it. And I could have doubled the amount quite easily. Looks like I might well have found my feet at last . Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring. If it continues - and I really can't see why it won't - then REAL money will be forthcoming very soon.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 10:09 PM

Re: Stocks and Shares?

I had a relatively good run on stocks but I listened to my f-i-l...a well respected broker...."don't gamble more than you can afford to lose"....best advice I got.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Spread / Bet. Applied the newly acquired knowledge to this very risky form of trading and guess what? I made £1520 today on 1 deal . This was from a starting point of £10,000 (they allow you this amount on the practice account).

Sh .............. it. And I could have doubled the amount quite easily. Looks like I might well have found my feet at last . Looking forward to what tomorrow will bring. If it continues - and I really can't see why it won't - then REAL money will be forthcoming very soon.
Ok this will likely fall on deaf ears but I urge you much caution. Like all online gambling and financial "sysems" it is all rigged to hell and back.

£10,000 is a lot of money to put into that.

What you have experienced is what they call the "honeymoon period". It's the instant win, instant gratification to make mugpunters think "wow this is bloody good" I will up my stake next time.

I have SB accounts with LCG and IG. I haven't used them for 2 to 3 years. I originally created them because I trade stocks and shares and thought it would be better to spread bet rather than buy actual shares because there is no tax with spread betting. I found however that once I got there, I couldn't actually spread bet on the specific shares that I wanted to (mostly AIM shares).

I tried the spread betting on currency pairs and like you saw instant success. As with everyone else that was followed by lots of losses.

They know EXACTLY what they are doing and if you haven't already had one, you will get a phone call from one of their "team" to check you are ok and basically suss out what kind of a customer you are, professional, mugpunter, easy mark etc.

Like all forms of gambling, spread betting is highly addictive. You literally sit there and watch that money meter climbing upward. It seems too good to be true. And it is ! Once the honeymoon is over they will relieve you of that £10k in no time at all.

They know exactly what they are doing and they CAN influence the price of the stocks or currencies on THEIR system any time they want.

I strongly advise you to limit your bet size and go instead for actual buying of stocks and shares. When you buy a share you actually own something, you can never lose more than you invested, whereas with spread betting you can lose your stake and many multiples of it besides.

All that said, the stock markets too are rigged to hell and back. Especially AIM. The regulators turn a blind eye to the blatant market manipulation and fraudulent activities of a great many company directors.

There are no free lunches.

Last point, don't even think of tryng to chip away with small bets and closing the deal when you are £1 up, repeating that over and over. It's called "scalping" and the brokers hate scalpers. They will con you as soon as you start doing it and take ££££s off you.

The system of stop losses and guaranteed stop losses is of itself a huge con. It's basically giving them free information that tells them how far they need to rig the price to hit your stop loss. All managed by computers. If they know your stop loss they have full control. If you don't use a stop loss they will change the price very quicky to put your bet well into the red and then you'll get what is called a "margin call". That is, you have to have a certain amount of cash in your account to cover any bet and they will say that the bet has gotten so far against you that they were forced to close it and that means you have to pay.

They win any ways, and all ways. The systems guarantee it.

But there you go. You will have to see it for yourself I'm sure rather than take my word for it.

In your heart you of course realise that if it were that easy to make £000s then everyone would be doing it. It isn't. You're just on your honeymoon and it will be over in a flash.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Sorry, I cannot agree with your claims that everyone is a crook, out to fleece the unsuspecting.

if YOU know this then the authorities KNOW.

They would not exist.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Wrong TPIN. The "authorities" are an integral part of the overall corruption.

The FCA for example clearly know that market abuse is rife on a collossal scale but do very little.

On the AIM markets for example, the forward selling of shares has been rife for years. For the uninitiated, forward selling happens when a company issues lots more shares in its company. When shares are issued it is nearly always bad news and it makes the share price fall. That creates a problem. Companies go to funding companies to raise money. Those companies give them money in exchange for lots of cheap shares which they then sell on to naive mugpunters dabbling in stocks and shares.
But companies are duty bound to inform the markets immediately when they issue shares.

So why would funding companies hand over cash if, as soon as they do, the company publishes the news that it is issuing shares? The share price would immediately plummet and the funding company would then struggle to sell their shares at a profit.

It's a problem for shady AIM directors who are essentially running companies purely to keep issuing shares and raising cash to pay their handsome salaries.

The answer is "forward selling". The company goes to the funding agent early on, agrees to issue them shares at a huge discount in exchange for cash. Those shares are effectively issued early and and the funding agents quickly start selling them into the market to hapless naive punters at a nice profit. At the same time these people are on the forums, chat boards and Twitter promoting the stock (ramping) as hard as they can to boost the share price.

After a week or so the company THEN publishes the news that they are issuing the shares but by then the funding agent has already sold the shares into the market for a profit. That is forward selling.

Forward selling is totally illegal.

Yet it goes on with monotonous regularity in almost all AIM companies and the FCA do virtually nothing. The funding agents are making £millions from these funding deals and the forward selling of shares. This year the FCA slapped the wrists of one of the main culprits but the fines were pretty insignificant. It was nothing more than a token gesture.

Corruption is absolutely rife across the AIM markets and the "authorities" are an integral part of the whole system.

The "Little people" you and me, stand no chance of ever getting rich on the stock markets. Everything is stacked against us. That is why the "City" needs to be brought down, the entire financial corruption brought to justice and all companies involved fined.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

29-06-2017, 08:21 PM

I'll take my F-i-L's success as an example....and his trading ethics were exemplary.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Believe it or not my winnings are now over £5000 - see pic. This has taken me 2 days to achieve.

I know this is betting so I will only put in a small amount of REAL money when the time comes - maybe £1000. If I can make an additional £1000 I will take my initial stake out leaving me with effectively free money to play with. If I keep making money I will withdraw a certain amount on a regular basis and probably buy stocks with it.

I've done a lot of background investigation regarding this Spread Betting lark but not really come across people saying it is an out and out scam.

Stop losses seem to be where people fall over. Some traders don't use them at all. I haven't until now. If I use them I will allow lots of lee way. Other than this I will just keep an eye on them and manually close them. I know access could cause problems with this approach.

I'm still learning. Not exactly sure what 'Positions' are for that matter.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 15.06.17.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	3222  
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Ok this will likely fall on deaf ears but I urge you much caution. Like all online gambling and financial "sysems" it is all rigged to hell and back.

£10,000 is a lot of money to put into that.

What you have experienced is what they call the "honeymoon period". It's the instant win, instant gratification to make mugpunters think "wow this is bloody good" I will up my stake next time.

I have SB accounts with LCG and IG. I haven't used them for 2 to 3 years. I originally created them because I trade stocks and shares and thought it would be better to spread bet rather than buy actual shares because there is no tax with spread betting. I found however that once I got there, I couldn't actually spread bet on the specific shares that I wanted to (mostly AIM shares).

I tried the spread betting on currency pairs and like you saw instant success. As with everyone else that was followed by lots of losses.

They know EXACTLY what they are doing and if you haven't already had one, you will get a phone call from one of their "team" to check you are ok and basically suss out what kind of a customer you are, professional, mugpunter, easy mark etc.

Like all forms of gambling, spread betting is highly addictive. You literally sit there and watch that money meter climbing upward. It seems too good to be true. And it is ! Once the honeymoon is over they will relieve you of that £10k in no time at all.

They know exactly what they are doing and they CAN influence the price of the stocks or currencies on THEIR system any time they want.

I strongly advise you to limit your bet size and go instead for actual buying of stocks and shares. When you buy a share you actually own something, you can never lose more than you invested, whereas with spread betting you can lose your stake and many multiples of it besides.

All that said, the stock markets too are rigged to hell and back. Especially AIM. The regulators turn a blind eye to the blatant market manipulation and fraudulent activities of a great many company directors.

There are no free lunches.

Last point, don't even think of tryng to chip away with small bets and closing the deal when you are £1 up, repeating that over and over. It's called "scalping" and the brokers hate scalpers. They will con you as soon as you start doing it and take ££££s off you.

The system of stop losses and guaranteed stop losses is of itself a huge con. It's basically giving them free information that tells them how far they need to rig the price to hit your stop loss. All managed by computers. If they know your stop loss they have full control. If you don't use a stop loss they will change the price very quicky to put your bet well into the red and then you'll get what is called a "margin call". That is, you have to have a certain amount of cash in your account to cover any bet and they will say that the bet has gotten so far against you that they were forced to close it and that means you have to pay.

They win any ways, and all ways. The systems guarantee it.

But there you go. You will have to see it for yourself I'm sure rather than take my word for it.

In your heart you of course realise that if it were that easy to make £000s then everyone would be doing it. It isn't. You're just on your honeymoon and it will be over in a flash.
Agree with every word you said, could have written it myself.

Sadly people do not go into the history of stock market trading. 'Margin calls' are a real danger and were responsible for huge devastation in the 1929 crash. I would urge anyone getting into this to read Prof. Galbraiths book 'The Great Crash 1929' it should be essential reading before opening any kind of leveraged trading account.

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Sorry, I cannot agree with your claims that everyone is a crook, out to fleece the unsuspecting.

if YOU know this then the authorities KNOW.

They would not exist.
He's not saying everyone is a crook, what he is saying is that you need to be experienced and working for a big bank to be able to take £10K losses as peanuts, very few private individuals are in this position and those that are certainly don't belong to a forum like this.

Even if you do work for a big bank, and even if you are experienced, you can still loose out spectacularly, just ask Nick Leeson
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Corruption is absolutely rife across the AIM markets
Well, that may be a tad strong AIM is definately not for everyone and I keep away from it. The spreads are the major problem for the private investor.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

29-06-2017, 09:50 PM

I see Realist mentioning fixing prices so that a stop loss could close you out but surely share prices are the same whatever platform you use? I have a few practice accounts with different companies. I have double checked that the shares are of the same value at all times. So surely I am right in thinking actual share prices will not be manipulated?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top