Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Charity adverts and celebs

I am so sick of celebrities coming on pleading for money for Christmas charities .
I dont need Joanna Lumney or whoever to tell me to give money .
We can't save the world even though Bob Geldoff has had a good try
And after all that Africa is still in a mess .
I am sorry for all the little children in war zones but we can't help them all.
I have no problem with giving and give what I can afford to various charities .
I am just fed up with being made to feel responsible for all the worlds ills .
No wonder people end it all it's incredibly depressing .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Re: Charity adverts and celebs

I posted something similar this time last year muddy, when im eating my tea , hearbreaking adverts of animals and children , i still find it upsetting , and like you know i cant save them or change anything . I have to look away and then i feel guilty for looking away .

I give to one charity regularly i can do no more .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:38 AM

These ads make me sick ,I just mute or turn off ....theyre just playing into peoples affections with set up scenes made to look as harrowing as possible to glean the most . Its a cynical old world. I give to good places already and I like to know where my money and donations are going to do the best for people I want it to for .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 10:42 AM

If I knew where the money actually went I'd be happier but so much disappears into a black pit of admin.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 10:45 AM

The charities I and my wife donate to are RNLI, British Heart foundation with money and various animal charity shops with unwanted goods (books etc)

After many years of donating to overseas charities we only donate to home charities now.

we ignore all other charities except the ones above.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:25 AM

I only give to local charities who are mainly staffed with volunteers. As Julie1962 pointed out with the bigger charities it seems very little actually gets to the front line.

As for Africa, how many billions have been poured into this continent yet nothing changes, except you will never see a poor African leader, so much goes to corrupt practices.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:41 AM

I don't give to those Charities, we have a Dog Rescue and a mixed Animal Rescue here and we give to them. That way apart from supporting local, you know the money is going where it's suppose to and not being syphoned off by those in charge. The links are the two we give to.

https://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk...l-24062011.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...and_Scott.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Totally agree with you Muddy. I'm afraid I mute them now.

I will give to who I want, not who I feel obliged to.

I bought some lovely Christmas cards this year from Dogs Trust, and more from The Donkey Sanctuary, and I always give unwanted clothes to my local Salvation Army.

I do not respond to these television adverts.
I wonder how much they cost the charities to screen them?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:46 AM

I mute them or turn the station. If you subscribed to them all by text you would soon become very much poorer.

Interesting how the prices have gone up - I've seen 7, 9 even £19 from the Salvation army.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Funnily enough, just this morning I've made a donation to a LOCAL Donkey Sanctuary. I am very wary of the big national/international charities because, as Julie said, the money gets eaten up in admin. I feel with a smaller local one the money will go more to the actual animals.

I've become very cynical in my old age and I'm afraid the big charities that try to tug at your heartstrings have zero chance of getting anything from me.

I'm in the process of changing my will as well so that whatever is left after I die will go to local animal charities rather than being wasted by my ungrateful offspring

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top