Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julia F
Surrey
Julia F is female 

17-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Challenging relationship with a daughter-in-law?

Hi,

I'm a freelance journalist who writes content for Saga. I've asked the mods and they have kindly given me permission to post some questions on here so that I can get some real life experiences.

If anyone would be up for contributing to some quotes that I can use (it will only be first names that are used and I can use a fake one) that would be really helpful.

So the third article I am going to be posting about in your forums tonight (last one promise!) is about building a relationship with a difficult daughter-in-law (DIL). Of course I am the perfect DIL so find this hard to comment on (haha, maybe not, I do try though!).

Do any of you ladies have any tips for how you have managed to get along with a DIL when things may have proved tricky at certain points? How did you deal with a situation where a DIL may have not wanted much to do with your family?

Or perhaps things have always been good between you because you have done things in a certain way?

Any feedback on this would be really interesting research for my article (and as above I will use some short quotes from this thread if you are happy to contribute).

Best wishes,
Julia
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Re: Challenging relationship with a daughter-in-law?

I was the DIL had a very rocky start with my MIL few years into my marriage after a particularly difficult day I just sat down with her and said we both love him and have to find a way to get on as this is making him unhappy. We chatted for ages and at the end we were firm friends to the point when she died I think I missed her as much as my husband did as I lost my best friend.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 08:27 PM

This caught my attention as I do indeed have a challenging relationship with my DIL, and not sure how best to resolve the situation.
Julia F
Surrey
Julia F is female 

17-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Thanks so much Julie, yes that is so interesting to hear it from your point of view as well as the DIL. What a lovely story, I think that having an open conversation is such a good way of releasing tension. It is a very tricky relationship - I have two daughters and I know if they were boys I would find it hard to let go!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 08:47 PM

It's difficult when you are having to play down things which seem a bit unfair in order to keep the relationships ok, I have had to let go of ever spending Christmas etc with my son and his wife and they have moved to be near my DIL's parents so see them a lot more.
I visit when I can every few months and speak to my son on the phone but I let him phone me so that I'm not picking a time when they are busy or having an evening to themselves.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 08:55 PM

Could you sit down like I did Anita and talk to her ? it has to be when no one else is around to make her feel on a level with you. We found we both wanted the best for my husband and just by talking it through realised we had to both make an effort.
Anita
Midlands, UK

17-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Yes I think that's a good idea Julie, I have suggested it once but I think she doesn't want to, I have to tread very carefully as I don't want to make it worse.
I was a single mother who had a very difficult and precarious start with my son, I think my DIL and I are very different and she naturally sees no real reason to form a relationship when she has her Mother and 2 sisters but it's difficult and you sort of feel that if you push too much you can make matters worse.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-05-2015, 09:16 PM

I can understand that part of our problem was how close I was to my Grandmother, I didn't need another mother but what I did need and what she needed too was to be friends, we were not mother and daughter at all we were friends with one very important thing in common - my husband. You have even more in common having grand children.
Anita
Midlands, UK

17-05-2015, 09:23 PM

In my case my DIL lives near her Mother and has her sisters also and friends as they now live near where she was brought up.
I am several hundred miles away and so out of the picture really apart from when I visit, I can't complain as it would probably only cause problems and I would look like a demanding Mother.
We are quite different people and I suppose that I would feel the same in her shoes, her life is fine without a MIL !!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Hello Julia I get on pretty well with my DIL .
I think it helps that I am not a possessive mother (although I had a especially close relationship with my son having brought him up on my own) and 'stand back' appreciating that she is number one in my son's life now.
I find it is also a good idea not to volunteer advice unless asked to do so.

There have been times when I have been quite surprised at the trust she has put in me . I won't go into details here it is too personal but I think what was shared was quite exceptional.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top