Join for free
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Modern myths and reality.

Most of my friends still believe the "Blackadder " Myth that all British Generals in World War I lived in a Chateaux miles behind the lines and knew nothing about the life of the ordinary soldier. How come then in reality a total of 97 Generals were killed or died during the war and 146 were taken prisoner. In the Battle of Loos in 1915 more British generals were killed than in the entire Second World including General Gough then second-in-command of the British army shot by a sniper in the front line.
The point I want to discuss is how much of our views about the past on which we base our opinions today is in fact myth ?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Re: Modern myths and reality.

WW1 was and still is well documented and there for the reading so I am not sure why your friends would assume the BlackAdder General myth was actual fact. Officers lead from the front. Generals plan that lead. That's how you win a conflict

Incidentally the Blackadder series was one of the best series on TV

This may interest you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zq2y87h
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Brian I think people believe that which they wish to believe.

The 'facts' as some people see them get passed on through the generations to become 'truths'.

As someone said (possibly US Senator Hiram Warren Johnson) 'The first casualty when war comes is truth'.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
... people believe that which they wish to believe.

The 'facts' as some people see them get passed on through the generations to become 'truths'....
Ain't that the "truth" !?

How else could any religion survive ?

But that might be a thought for another day - or another thread
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales
BDR44 is male  BDR44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 05:17 PM

The first casualty not just of war but of National histories is truth. Trouble is folk build their secular belief on these national myths.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 05:59 PM

Even today's newspaper headlines are suspect, so what chance is there that historical so-called facts are truth?
BDR44
Gwynedd North Wales

04-09-2015, 09:52 PM

An historical truth must of necessity be one that has a weight of evidence to support it; a Myth fails against the weight of evidence against it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top