Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 07:05 PM

Re: queue jumping

Then why do the English queue for service to start with, another gone down the drain issue?
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Heeheehee, be grateful your culture tends to be more civilized. In New York or any major city one person cutting in line can result in a free for all. Definitely the crowd will loudly put the person in their place.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:19 PM

Some miserable old sod tried this last week. Three or four of us were queueing up politely and this bloke just waltzed to the middle of the bar. We politely told him there was a queue and brazenly he said "I don't believe in queues - all that means is you got here before me. I'm entitled to get my round in, just the same as you." Normally i wouldn't have done anything but I just shrugged my shoulders, stared at him and said "Oh well, let's all push in, eh?"

I walked up right beside him, blocking him from the barmaid's view, gave him the eye and he instantly backed down. The pompous old sod was holding a tenner and his hands were shaking like a leaf. All bark, no bite and it was obvious he'd never been taken to task for his appalling bad manners. I got served before him, gave him a filthy look and swanned off with my drinks.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 10:21 PM

It must be a British trait instilled into us mustn't it. We were after all brought up being taught good manners and told we must never push in front of other people in queues.
I have never forgotten about 10 years ago staying in a very nice hotel in Cala D'or. It was mainly German tourists staying there. One day we returned from a day trip and after a nice shower we strolled down to the dining room about 5 minutes before the doors opened. We found we were the first there and rather self consciously waited at the head of the queue with others queuing behind us in the corridor. the doors were opened and I swear to you, we were almost knocked over in the rush to pass us. We couldn't believe what was happening! we ended up about 25th in the queue to be shown to a table !!! I've never forgotten it and ensured we were never first in the queue there again because if it had been repeated, knowing me I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue and would probably have caused a row because I detest rude pushy people regardless of their nationality !!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 10:52 PM

Maybe at one time i wouldn't have said anything, but now the gloves are on and i tell the barman/woman that i'm next, and also say how long i have been waiting to the person who believes they were at the bar before me. I just hate it also when local people think they should get served before anyone else too, what makes them so special?
The thing is there is never enough staff on the bar to cover the customers. So you landlords out there set more on!!
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Some miserable old sod tried this last week. Three or four of us were queueing up politely and this bloke just waltzed to the middle of the bar. We politely told him there was a queue and brazenly he said "I don't believe in queues - all that means is you got here before me. I'm entitled to get my round in, just the same as you." Normally i wouldn't have done anything but I just shrugged my shoulders, stared at him and said "Oh well, let's all push in, eh?"

I walked up right beside him, blocking him from the barmaid's view, gave him the eye and he instantly backed down. The pompous old sod was holding a tenner and his hands were shaking like a leaf. All bark, no bite and it was obvious he'd never been taken to task for his appalling bad manners. I got served before him, gave him a filthy look and swanned off with my drinks.
Perhaps the miserable old sod was in a great deal of pain trying to stand even for a couple of minutes, making queuing a complete nightmare as it does me. Perhaps the miserable old sod thought that some of the selfish younger generation more fit would have given him some consideration, no chance in today's society. Then why is it always me that lets people out on the roads.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 11:15 PM

I would have said something *excuse me I am next* and most people would say oh I am sorry. It was obvious your lady was intent on queue jumping and couldn't care a fig. Being rude was unexpected but seems compatible with the sort of person who will push in as she had done.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Perhaps the miserable old sod was in a great deal of pain trying to stand even for a couple of minutes, making queuing a complete nightmare as it does me. Perhaps the miserable old sod thought that some of the selfish younger generation more fit would have given him some consideration, no chance in today's society. Then why is it always me that lets people out on the roads.
Nah, the guy was the same age as everyone else in the queue - give or take 5 years - so "younger generation" doesn't come into the equation. Plus you weren't there to see the look on his face or the sneering tone of his voice. The other three people in the queue were equally pissed off with him.

No, the cocky old scrote finally had his comeuppance. Probably long overdue, too.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

09-09-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Nah, the guy was the same age as everyone else in the queue - give or take 5 years - so "younger generation" doesn't come into the equation. Plus you weren't there to see the look on his face or the sneering tone of his voice. The other three people in the queue were equally pissed off with him.

No, the cocky old scrote finally had his comeuppance. Probably long overdue, too.
Ok I accept that, however had he been very old, disabled and polite with great standing difficulties he would still have been ignored, as first come first served is the new motto of pig ignorant English manners in all facets of life.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
It must be a British trait instilled into us mustn't it. We were after all brought up being taught good manners and told we must never push in front of other people in queues.
I have never forgotten about 10 years ago staying in a very nice hotel in Cala D'or. It was mainly German tourists staying there. One day we returned from a day trip and after a nice shower we strolled down to the dining room about 5 minutes before the doors opened. We found we were the first there and rather self consciously waited at the head of the queue with others queuing behind us in the corridor. the doors were opened and I swear to you, we were almost knocked over in the rush to pass us. We couldn't believe what was happening! we ended up about 25th in the queue to be shown to a table !!! I've never forgotten it and ensured we were never first in the queue there again because if it had been repeated, knowing me I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue and would probably have caused a row because I detest rude pushy people regardless of their nationality !!
Almost "snap" Shropshire girl. We had the same thing happen to us at a hotel in Greece. We were waiting for the head waiter to open the dining room, a young German guy came and stood beside us, when the waiter came the German guy quite literally pushed me with his elbow and almost knocked me over, he was determined to get in the dining room before us. It took me 3 nights to get my revenge, he came and stood at the side of us again but this time I was ready for him. I saw the waiter coming to open the doors and I "accidentally" stamped on the German guy´s foot, I was wearing stiletto heels at the time, he was so busy hopping around trying to hold his foot, he was almost last into the dining room. I´m patient, but one way or another I almost always get my revenge on rude and unpleasant people

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top