Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 08:46 PM

Re: queue jumping

Jim would always speak up if anybody jumped the queue etc... I however don't. Not because I can't stick up for myself, but because I can't be bothered with the aggravation.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 09:08 PM

Apologies to any Americans but I am sorry they were so rude yesterday. I was in the middle of being served in the Salisbury Cathederal Shop, yesterday. A loud Amercian lady came to the counter, pushed me sideways and said to the person on the till *I want a book on Salisbury Cathederal* He said could you wait a minute. She said I want it now. He totally ignored her, finished serving me. Not sure what happened next but perhaps I should have tried someone's stepping on the foot trick. There were a few of her group outside, who were not much better disturbing the peace and tranquility.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 08:45 AM

This Danish has an interesting theory about queueing though it doesn't say what it would do for people's self control.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...udy-finds.html
Janette
New Member!
warwickshire UK
Janette is female 

12-09-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I probably would have said something like "If you are that much in need of a drink, go ahead!"
I certainly think Wetherspoons in particular should adopt the one queue system as I do find it frustrating when all I want is a pint of beer.

Love it. A great put down. I'll have to remember that.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 09:35 AM

I think that British people are very considerate, usually, of anyone with particular needs that is unable to queue or stand or whatever, and would always usher them to the front. At theme parks there is often a dispensation for disabled people to go straight to the front of queues.

If someone asks me politely and gives a reason, I would graciously surrender my place in a queue, but would have no hestitation in being assertive if I am being passed over for someone who has pushed in.
Tachyon - you made me laugh with your description of the rude man in the pub as a "cocky old scrote" I will have to file that one away for future use!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
Apologies to any Americans but I am sorry they were so rude yesterday. I was in the middle of being served in the Salisbury Cathederal Shop, yesterday. A loud Amercian lady came to the counter, pushed me sideways and said to the person on the till *I want a book on Salisbury Cathederal* He said could you wait a minute. She said I want it now. He totally ignored her, finished serving me. Not sure what happened next but perhaps I should have tried someone's stepping on the foot trick. There were a few of her group outside, who were not much better disturbing the peace and tranquility.

I was in the Cathedral a week ago!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Reading all these posts has made me wonder why people go to pubs at all In the last 15 years I can number on one hand the number of times I've been and that has been when visiting my brother who likes to show me how well known he is in the locality

The big pub chains are the worst, as someone said there's never enough staff on duty and 17 years ago when our office used to have a few jars at the end of the day in London was when I decided it just wasn't worth it, staff who barely knew where any of the drinks were, overpriced beer, big crowds of drunken state educated morons, often from the media or other 'trendy' occupations. A total nightmare, I'd rather eat cockroaches for breakfast than rub shoulders with such slobs.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Jazz I we were in there Thursday last week. No one could miss us as my husband is in a big electric wheelchair and on a ventilator, with carers and equipment in tow. We live in Winchester so Salisbury not far away. This week there is a glorious flower festival, but can't go back to see it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Yes Celyn, I saw the volunteers getting the flowers ready. I even took some photos.

I've not yet transferred my holiday photos to a computer. Must get on with that.
Celyn
Hampshire

18-09-2015, 11:11 PM

90,000 blooms. Living locally it has been shown extensively on TV. Amazing. Its a beautiful cathedral. I live in Winchester but much prefer Salisbury.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top