Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 02:46 PM

Over 70’s Drivers....What Do You Think Of This?

Motorists over 70 who are in poor health are facing ban on night time driving in a licence shake up. They will only be able to travel up to 30 miles from their home.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shake-up.html
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:04 PM

Re: Over 70’s Drivers....What Do You Think Of This?

Considering that the statistics show that more 18-25yr old males are involved in accidents (both fatal and non-fatal) than us oldies, why not propose similar bans on them at the same time?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:05 PM

That will be a shame for some drivers who are over 70 and competent , I don't drive more than 10 miles these days so I should be ok .

Having once driven anywhere in the UK I have 'lost my nerve' and this is not improved by lack of practice I don't feel safe driving far with bad mannered 'racing driver' types around everywhere these days .
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:19 PM

With the retirement age being forever raised, people will need to travel for work. This proposal appears agist and discriminatory. Poor health is a different thing and can effect people of all age groups, not just the over 70s.

That said, I think most of us know people of a 'certain age' who should no longer be allowed behind the wheel of a car.

What I would prefer to see is a more stringent regular assessment of capability to drive once licences require to be renewed at 70.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Considering that the statistics show that more 18-25yr old males are involved in accidents (both fatal and non-fatal) than us oldies, why not propose similar bans on them at the same time?
I suppose it comes with years of experience. Older drivers, while often causing accidents, seem to have the knack of not actually participating in them. They just do something totally unexpected, and then trundle away from the mayhem they have left behind them. I've not mastered the skill yet, so I need to get a move on, as I will be coming of age in the not too distant future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by percy vere ->
considering that the statistics show that more 18-25yr old males are involved in accidents (both fatal and non-fatal) than us oldies, why not propose similar bans on them at the same time?
That is very true. The boy racers who travel at 70 down our 30mph limit road on a regular basis are all young.

I don't disagree with the present system of over-70s being checked for suitability to drive safely every three years, especially with regard to eyesight.

I actually lost the right to drive for four months due to that ruling - unnecessarily (but due to my own fault for being too honest) as it happens. I shall not go into that now, having mentioned it elsewhere on the forum before now.

However, unless there is an actual reason why over-70s drivers shouldn't drive, I can see no logical reason why we (er, I'm only 68 yet) should be limited to the distance we may drive.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 07:55 PM

I fall into that group, age and medically. I know my limitations, so driving for me is rare and only involves short distances, I think I read somewhere that most accidents happen within 30 miles of the home anyway. Come the end of lockdown or the easing of the rules I might be tempted to get back out though.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I can see no logical reason why we (er, I'm only 68 yet) should be limited to the distance we may drive.
The distance limit for the elderly should be set so that they are never more than 15 minutes away from their own toilet. Unless, of course, their driver's seat has been fitted with a commode conversion.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:11 PM

in poor health??? who decides that? the police- doctors- family disputes.

Does that mean because you have a bad cold this will apply all year?

Yet another brain dead politician no doubt who can't think through all the situations.

As I had a bad time in hospital a few years back does that mean this should apply? Wot a load of BS to make some little shrimp look big
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I suppose it comes with years of experience. Older drivers, while often causing accidents, seem to have the knack of not actually participating in them. They just do something totally unexpected, and then trundle away from the mayhem they have left behind them. I've not mastered the skill yet, so I need to get a move on, as I will be coming of age in the not too distant future.
You ran over my foot on a crossing, three days ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top