Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 11:16 PM

Re: Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

In the old days there was religion to teach respect for others. Didn't always work but as long as everyone shared a religion there was a moral framework. These days there's no moral compass. You can moan about religion until the cows come home but at least it kept people focused on what's right and what's wrong.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Unlike AT, I believe children should be respected on par with their development. Exposing children to things they are not developmentally able to handle can have repercussions later off. Frankly, if any lives should be respected - it's the young ones. Teaching them discipline and modeling good behavior certainly falls into the realm of respect.
Children are a reflection of the world around them. If you want to know the truth about a parent look to the child's behaviour. If children are given no boundaries they will have no boundaries. A lot of kids these days do not have a safe environment in which to develop.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That is what it was, strict discipline with zero tolerance meaning nothing is tolerated, just as when I was growing up. There was no way anything wrong would be tolerated to allow it to happen a second time. That is how we were taught in those days, no whacks or beatings, your father's tone of voice was enough. If I had misbehaved in any way the words from my mother "just wait until your father gets home" meant what was said. Very fair though and the way my parents were with me in that way also taught me respect, I recall the saying used to be "respect for your elders", often added to that was "… and betters".

There was none of the disrespectful, appalling behaviour we see today, that simply would not have been tolerated in any way, which had the desired results.
Yes, things are becoming appalling, or have become appalling.

I think these breakdowns in society probably began back in the 1970s or possibly even earlier in the '60s.

The question now is, when is society going to repair itself?
Perhaps a more realistic question would be, will society ever repair itself now or is it too late?

I'm just glad that I'm the age I am, as if I were a young person today I'd either join in with the anarchy or kill myself!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Children are a reflection of the world around them. If you want to know the truth about a parent look to the child's behaviour. If children are given no boundaries they will have no boundaries. A lot of kids these days do not have a safe environment in which to develop.
Such a good point.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, things are becoming appalling, or have become appalling.

I think these breakdowns in society probably began back in the 1970s or possibly even earlier in the '60s.

The question now is, when is society going to repair itself?
Perhaps a more realistic question would be, will society ever repair itself now or is it too late?

I'm just glad that I'm the age I am, as if I were a young person today I'd either join in with the anarchy or kill myself!
I have no idea, JBR, but I do so want it to happen. Families matter, courtesy matters, neighbors matter, responsibility matters, our countries matter, and, I would argue, churches matter....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 12:10 AM

In the old days there was religion to teach respect for others. Didn't always work but as long as everyone shared a religion there was a moral framework. These days there's no moral compass. You can moan about religion until the cows come home but at least it kept people focused on what's right and what's wrong.
I agree, and rightly or wrongly I believe that that was the one reason that religions originated: to keep people under control.

When people were simple enough to be convinced that a supernatural being was watching their every move, and that dire consequences would result from any misbehaviour, people were in fear of committing crime or failing to follow the rules set by their rulers.

Now that more and more people are beginning to realise that it has all been a 'con', that idea is no longer working!

It is unfortunate that the lack of belief cannot now be reversed. The cat is out of the bag!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-04-2021, 12:11 AM

As a teacher, having seen both children and their parents, I concur!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-04-2021, 12:51 AM

I agree, and rightly or wrongly I believe that that was the one reason that religions originated: to keep people under control.

When people were simple enough to be convinced that a supernatural being was watching their every move, and that dire consequences would result from any misbehaviour, people were in fear of committing crime or failing to follow the rules set by their rulers.

Now that more and more people are beginning to realise that it has all been a 'con', that idea is no longer working!

It is unfortunate that the lack of belief cannot now be reversed. The cat is out of the bag!
Not to control it was the imperfect glue that kept society together. The deity fixation is misleading. People are terribly hung up chasing rainbows. You forget the value religion had to society.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-04-2021, 12:59 AM

As a teacher, having seen both children and their parents, I concur!
kids need a moral framework. Our societies have become based on dopamine producing activities. There is no restraint. If you mix such a societal model with deprivation it's going to lead to anti social behaviour. Mix it with affluence and it will lead to decadent decay. There is no balance.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 10:52 AM

What is not often mentioned is the population of the area in which you grow up.

For example, I was reared in a village which has a population of 2000, or so.

Because the population was so small, everything we did, as kids (and young adults) was going to get back to your parents, and everyone else, before you even got home.

From that, the police (such as there were) knew all about all of the baddies, your parents knew who you were out with - and the "reputation" of those playmates.

If there was a broken window, they all knew who was in the area, at the time.

Compare this with the modern large city life!

Do they know the people they live next door to?

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 11:19 AM

I'll be honest and say that if I was a pre-teen today it is exceedingly unlikely that I would lead the life that I have. I'll go further. There is no way that I would have.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top