Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Re: Do you exercise

Everyday. I have dogs who ‘expect’ to be walked.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My fitness has gone downhill a lot since developing Polymyalgia rheumatica. Now it's under control with steroids I'm trying to restart my fitness regime.

I go to keep fit classes at my local centre but to be honest they're for older people and aren't very energetic.

I used to go hill walking - 5 or 6 miles but need to build my fitness up before I can do it again (if ever)

With this in mind I've chosen a steep hill near us - it takes 20 minutes to walk up it and I try to walk up it 4 or 5 times a week - eventually intending to go hill walking again.
Have you tried swimming? It’s a great for total fitness ,also pool walking ,the waters resistance mean you can build up leg , butt and stomach muscles it will be hard to do on land. Until lockdown I use to swim most days ... as soon as I get my second jab I shall be back in the pool . Until then it’s dog walking .
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 09:36 AM

I recently unearthed a 4 way resistance band thing I bought a couple of years ago. After looking up Youtube for guidance on exercises (its like 4 rubber loops connected in the middle) I discovered it wasn't actually for arms and legs, which I had been using it for previously, it was for abdominals! So, last night I lay on the floor like an upturned tortoise, with this thing looped around each arm and leg, and proceeded to stretch. Much to the hilarity of Mr P - and the dog, who thought it was a game and jumped all over me, barking! Great fun, but not for me
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I recently unearthed a 4 way resistance band thing I bought a couple of years ago. After looking up Youtube for guidance on exercises (its like 4 rubber loops connected in the middle) I discovered it wasn't actually for arms and legs, which I had been using it for previously, it was for abdominals! So, last night I lay on the floor like an upturned tortoise, with this thing looped around each arm and leg, and proceeded to stretch. Much to the hilarity of Mr P - and the dog, who thought it was a game and jumped all over me, barking! Great fun, but not for me
Brilliant Pixie, started my day off with a smile....

It's been my experience that these exercising aids come and go, and the best that you can expect is a few weeks/months of bending and stretching before depositing said equipment in the back of the cupboard. To really get longevity out of an exercising schedule you need to love your chosen activity. At the age of 27 I went out for my first run, and it nearly killed me. But do you know what? After the run, it made me feel like I had never felt before, alive but somehow relaxed and content, so I went again.......The rest is history. Don't treat movement of any kind as exercise, treat it as one of life's experiences to be enjoyed. When you look out of the window, don't focus on the glass, but the view beyond....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Don't treat movement of any kind as exercise, treat it as one of life's experiences to be enjoyed. When you look out of the window, don't focus on the glass, but the view beyond....
What a lovely way to put it, Foxy! From how you explain the feelings after a run, it sounds like its the way I feel after being out on the bike, or a good walk.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 10:21 AM

Happily back to playing golf once or twice a week.

The great thing, about golf, is that the worse you play, the more exercise you get.

So, I probably walk about 10 miles, whilst my opposition player might only do three or four - in the same game!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top