Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 10:47 AM

Re: Help for speeding.

I too suggested Carol check her speedo. It works for a lot of drivers, myself included.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Most Satnavs show and warn about fixed speed cameras and some will sound a warning if you are exceeding the speed limit. Similar apps are available on smart phones.
That's what I use. Google Maps warns you when you're approaching a speed camera. Better to keep an eye on the speedometer.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 12:27 PM

Most Satnavs show and warn about fixed speed cameras and some will sound a warning if you are exceeding the speed limit. Similar apps are available on smart phones.
Waze is another of these apps., this one also has the facility to report any problems so that other drivers can be warned. Accidents, objects on road etc. can be advised to Waze which can be very useful as well as the sat. nav. facility which is good.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 12:39 PM

My satnav always seems to read a couple of miles per hour under what the car's speedo is recording. So I could be bang on 30 according to the satnav, then I glance at the speedo and it's registering around 32. So maybe not always best to rely on the satnav. Or is that more accurate than the car's speedo?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Last week I got another speeding fine - not the first!!

I know there are gadgets you can get that warn you when you're speeding or when you're near a speed camera. I don't know anything about these & would like a bit of help please.

Do you use anything to control your speeding & what?
Cruise Control, I have it on just about all the time. Best invention ever.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 12:50 PM

I got caught speeding last month for the first time in near 50 years to the day since passing my test. I've had something through the post about a Speed Awareness Course. They say the the course is offered to people doing 35 - 42mph in a 30 limit. Presumably, you can get away with doing 34 in a 30 limit. I was doing 36.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
My satnav always seems to read a couple of miles per hour under what the car's speedo is recording. So I could be bang on 30 according to the satnav, then I glance at the speedo and it's registering around 32. So maybe not always best to rely on the satnav. Or is that more accurate than the car's speedo?
Car speedos are designed to read low it is in the car design rules, your sat nav is far more accurate.

I always set my cruise control to 98kph according to my sat nav (for 100kph limit) which is about 105kph according to my speedo

This is the Australian design rules but these were made to conform with European rules probably applied years before.

From July 1 2006 a new standard began its phase in and by 1 July 2007 all new vehicles had to comply. The new standard requires that:

The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h.
Odometer accuracy is no longer defined.

What this means:

For a vehicle travelling at a true speed of 100km/h, the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. The effect of this is that many drivers will find that at 100km/h they are driving up to 14km/h below the speed limit if they rely on the vehicle’s speedo.
The speedo must always read 'safe', meaning the vehicle must not travel faster than the speed indicated by the speedo.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 02:02 PM

When I'm driving I just don't think about speed. I drive at what seems safe & comfortable for me.

I know I need to start thinking about it - hence the appeal for a helpful gadget that will remind me to slow down...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 02:14 PM

I posted a gadget for you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 04:19 PM

Oh carol, that’s a bit sick. I am so sorry that you got caught.

My only advice to you is ....... give Nick Freeman a ring. He’d get you off!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top