Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:56 PM

Re: Windows 11 ?

A lot of owners are going to find that they don't have the TPM standard for W11.

So, there might be a costly barrier to getting there!

Surely MS would not do this to make you buy a later PC/Laptop?

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A lot of owners are going to find that they don't have the TPM standard for W11.

So, there might be a costly barrier to getting there!

Surely MS would not do this to make you buy a later PC/Laptop?

It won't work. Windows 10 will be receiving updates until 2025, so I read. Our existing computers will do until then.

One of the computers in an Intel NUC that uses BIOS rather than UEFI, so I don't think much can be done there. Another computer uses UEFI but is fairly old nonetheless. I looked into the UEFI settings (Asrock motherboard) but it has no TPM on/off option that I can find. We have an older Surface Pro that might be OK.

A pity because I like to keep up out of interest.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:00 PM

Forget W11, no doubt there is already a W12 and a W13 in the pipeline.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I predict that for most people that use it, the only difference will be that it will be even more unnecessarily complicated and loaded with useless "apps" than all the previous versions. Sorry if I sound cynical but this is just the same as most other consumer stuff. It's not really needed by any ordinary person who uses a home computer or even a work one in many cases. It's just to make more and more money. And after a certain point, Microsoft doesn't even give you a choice. For example, what about an elderly person who just got used to windows 7 or XP when they were 20 years younger. They were happy with that and it was all they ever would need. Now they are not 50. They are 70 and they are confronted with no choice but to virtually learn a new product. Tech support??There isn't any. Even search isn't the same.
I agree. Anything that can be useful will cost money.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:13 PM

There are some workarounds out there already.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 10:07 AM

Time, for me, to start looking at new motherboards & cases.

Sad that the old "Computer Fair" seems to have disappeared, so the bits will have to be found on line.

But I look forward to having a project, to fill the time, although it may be two, or more, years before 11 kicks in properly.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 12:20 AM

Windows 11: what you need to know

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/07...-need-to-know/ - Which?

It's the biggest update to Windows since 2015, but is it worth getting excited over?

Windows 11 has been announced and will be available at the end of the year. We take you through the most important questions. The prospect of an entirely new operating system can be a bit stressful; you don’t know what’s going to happen to your files and programs and you might wonder whether your computer will become more difficult to use.

Windows 11 doesn’t have an ‘official’ launch date yet, although various clues in Microsoft’s launch presentation has suggested a date in October, likely the 20th. This will no doubt be confirmed nearer the time when Microsoft thinks it is ready to launch.

Windows 11 is an optional update, but if there aren’t any features you’re interested in, or just want to keep things the way they are, you’re under no obligation to update.

Some new features include:
  • New Start menu
  • Widgets
  • Snap
  • App store
It's looking increasingly likely that I won't bother with the "upgrade" .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

08-07-2021, 09:58 AM

I won't bother because although I have discovered one of my computers does have the required TPM 2.0, it doesn't have a new enough processor. There's no way I'm going to buy a new computer or a better processor (if that's possible) just so I can upgrade a computer that's running perfectly well on Windows 10.

If MS drops the processor requirement, I'll reconsider.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:17 AM

Windows 10 comes loaded with stuff I'm not interested in:

Games
Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc)
Photo viewers and editors

I prefer Freeware

I've just looked I've got 125 Apps, Bonjour, Cortana, Energy Star, Money, Weather ...

All I want to do in store photo, surf the net and use half dozen freeware progs. W11 is gonna come loaded with a whole lot more MS rubbish, for sure.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:32 AM

Perhaps I should listen to sites like this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-win...ams-uninstall/

and delete most of it.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top