Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:09 PM

Re: Right to repair rules come into force …

It's great news but I bet it means the price of new products will rise.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Call me old fashioned But I understood manufactures had to stock parts for items no longer in production for 10 years
In my field it was not unusual to produce parts for upwards of 30 years.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
In my field it was not unusual to produce parts for upwards of 30 years.
Were you invovled in industrial applications Besoerker? If so, then would it not be reasonable for a company to offer lifetime support and repairs.

By lifetime, which is fundamental to this thread, I mean a perceived "reasonable lifespan" for a product to remain usable.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Were you invovled in industrial applications Besoerker? If so, then would it not be reasonable for a company to offer lifetime support and repairs.

By lifetime, which is fundamental to this thread, I mean a perceived "reasonable lifespan" for a product to remain usable.
But what is reasonable? My applications would be a quite reasonable life span at the end of a repair life. A television, for example, would probably not.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:44 PM

But what is reasonable? My applications would be a quite reasonable life span at the end of a repair life. A television, for example, would probably not.
Agree.

It seems that the policy put forward suggests that for some products, 10 years is a basic "reasonable" amount of time.

During my very brief sojourn into the world of selling kirby vacuum cleaners, we were advised that 30 years was what the company called a reasonable lifespan. If parts were no longer available, they would replace with an upgraded machine.

Not entirely sure that modern dysons, sharks etc have the same life expectancies. Most people I know tend to replace theirs within 8 years. My kirby is still going strong after 25+ years, having only had the bushes and mains lead needing replacing.

Bit anectdotal, but it is relevant IMHO.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:52 AM

This is good news obviously but I wish manufacturers would stop making the crap in the first place. Everything we buy these days ends up with a problem and it's not as though these things are cheap.

As for washing machines, certain manufacturers (Bosch is one of them) rivet everything making it impossible to carry out what would be simple repairs if you could get to it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
This is good news obviously but I wish manufacturers would stop making the crap in the first place. Everything we buy these days ends up with a problem and it's not as though these things are cheap.

As for washing machines, certain manufacturers (Bosch is one of them) rivet everything making it impossible to carry out what would be simple repairs if you could get to it.
A lot of components within various devices are now glued in place, others are either a press fit or require 'special' tools to access. All by design and done to prevent easy replacement I reckon, or am I just being cynical?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Some/most people still won't get electronic items repaired. When something goes wrong, they will most likely look at the technical advances that have been made since the item was bought and decide to buy the latest models.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

02-07-2021, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
A lot of components within various devices are now glued in place, others are either a press fit or require 'special' tools to access. All by design and done to prevent easy replacement I reckon, or am I just being cynical?
No, just to make them cheaper.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 09:42 AM

No, just to make them cheaper.
Cheaper to produce so more profit or cheaper to buy so of benefit to the consumer? I don't replace anything regularly enough to have seen which way prices have gone. To me there seems no reason to buy 'the latest' just to have that or to 'keep up with the Joneses'.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top