Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 06:51 PM

Re: Farrow And Ball

Personally I reckon it's all advertising hype.
My own preferred interior emulsions for these past few years have been Johnstones or their trade verion Leyland if I need a colour mixing.
For the last few years at least their quality has IMHO been far superior to Dulux or Crown.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 07:06 PM

We recently had our front door, frame & surround painted ...

F&B not only have nice colours but also quick drying water-based paint for external wood & brick. It costs more but bugger it, it looks good.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Personally I reckon it's all advertising hype.
My own preferred interior emulsions for these past few years have been Johnstones or their trade verion Leyland if I need a colour mixing.
For the last few years at least their quality has IMHO been far superior to Dulux or Crown.
I fully agree with you. Both are part of PPG and as such their quality is always constant and at a fair price too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:32 AM

I've used Farrow and Ball Pauline I think its good. I use their estate emulsion thats a washable matte finish.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 01:51 PM

I have used all sorts of paints on customers' walls and I would say F&B were near the top of the list for quality, coverage and flatness. It might be more expensive but it goes a lot further. Quite often it didn't require a second coat, although I still did it. Dulux were at the bottom of the list a few years ago but they seem to have sorted themselves out. Paint can be surprisingly expensive but you do get what you pay for.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 03:48 PM

F&B paints are about £33-£52/2.5lt can. Crown and Dulux paints mixed to your own colour requirement cost somewhere in the region of £40/2.5lt.

I was talking to a professional painter/decorator last week about paint in general and, in his opinion, water-based gloss isn't robust enough in areas of "high traffic" where knocks and bangs are likely. He only uses them where they are specified by his clients but he always tells them to expect the surfaces not to last as long as with oil-based gloss paint.

Until recently, I was a big fan of Crown paints but have since become a convert to Johnstones and Leyland paints.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top