Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 07:34 PM

Re: Cobbler's children?

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I haven't heard that expression either Meg - would like to know what it means though, please
Mags you say someone is 'Walking like a duck in pattens' meaning to walk awkwardly.

Women used to wear metal 'pattens' to protect their shoes from the mud . Millworkers wore them over their clogs, they made the clogs last longer
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mags you say someone is 'Walking like a duck in pattens' meaning to walk awkwardly.

Women used to wear metal 'pattens' to protect their shoes from the mud . Millworkers wore them over their clogs, they made the clogs last longer
Thanks Meg that's something else I've learned today
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 07:42 PM

Interesting! Please carry on with the replies!

Both Mum & Dad came from the centre of Manchester.

I think that at one time every town and village had a cobbler. Even in cities there would be very localised districts and communities; in effect they were lots of small villages pushed up against each other.
A couple of generations ago when shoes were all leather it was probably much more common to have them repaired, compared to modern moulded sole footwear
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 07:51 PM

I think that those of us say around 60 are going to be the last who remember these things,from tales from Grandparents, and the sewer being put in,the tizer lorry,shoe repairers,grocers,the fishman the baker who delivered.

Memories indeed but I still hate that shit that tainted all those thoughts
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 08:44 PM

I remember the cobbler saying but Id never heard the duck in patterns one..

I always said if ifs and ands were pots and pans we'd have no need of tinkers..( mostly when the children were playing up moaning )

Now my daughter whos 26 says it and gets odd looks, her neice asked her whats a tinker?
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:25 AM

I too have heard the expression and I live in London. I have always understood that it means that the children’s father is too busy mending the shoes of his customers that he has no time to attend to the needs of his own kids. I also think that the expression is used more generally to mean that any expert has to deal with the needs of his business first.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:31 AM

I live Oop North, and have never heard it, mind you Lancashire is the midlands from my perspective.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 02:24 PM

I have never heard the expression, nor have I ever heard the patten duck one. We were at some friends for dinner one evening and after dinner our friend asked her daughter to "side the table". I thought she wanted to push the table back to the wall, but no she meant "clear the table", I had never heard that before either. I think I must have led a sheltered life !
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 02:43 PM

Yes, I'd heard the expression 'to side the table', and I knew what it meant, though I'd more or less forgotten about it till just now.

I'm sure there must be books or Websites on the use, origin, derivation etc., of all these old sayings
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 06:03 PM

I'm a cobbler's great great grandchild. I'm very fussy about my feet, probably because my dad used to say if your feet look tidy, then the rest of you will! That's just my tuppence worth.........

I've a feeling the saying means "charity begins at home". Which some people can't always afford to do, especially in older times. Not just cobblers - any profession. Difficult times.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top