Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Sharing Patient information?

Today I visited my surgery for a B12 injection. I was rather shocked when the nurse told me that I was classified as "frail", given my medical history.

She went on to tell me of a new initiative of sharing a limited medical history on the internet, so that it would be available if I had a fall or was ill whilst away on holiday etc. This required my consent and I was entitled to refuse. I agreed wholeheartedly.

As a former medical secretary I remember clearly trying to get hold of medical information on patients visiting the area who had been admitted to our hospital. In my view this can only benefit patient care and those who do not agree must have something to hide.

What do others think?

On a personal level, I always carry up-to-date information regarding past medical history and medication dosage, in my bag, wherever I go. It is always appreciated by doctors.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:38 PM

Re: Sharing Patient information?

I'm on that list too ceecee it's invaluable IMO could one day save my life.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:26 PM

Hi

I do not see a problem with it at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:46 PM

I am registered online with my doctor and they have permission to share my information. I have nothing to hide and it could save my life .

I also wear a Medical Alert bracelet with my name/Doctors surgery and the drugs I am taking.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:48 PM

Me too meg I have my allergy info on mine. Tell you what's interesting I looked into medical alert items and thought they were expensive, went to local independent jewellers and they had a lovely pendant they engraved for less than half the cost of a medical alert one !
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:55 PM

The usual argument for those who disagree with the sharing of information is that it could be used by insurance companies et al to deny people who had hidden their medical conditions in order to get cover. People are very concerned about "Big Brother" and maybe their arguments hold merit, but in balance I do feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Me too meg I have my allergy info on mine. Tell you what's interesting I looked into medical alert items and thought they were expensive, went to local independent jewellers and they had a lovely pendant they engraved for less than half the cost of a medical alert one !
Julie these people are great and the items arrive the next day.

http://www.theidbandco.com/

I have a selection of different coloured silicone bracelets that are waterproof so I can wear them all the time which is important if you live alone and are at high risk .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Thanks meg I'll have a look at them, I have a nice pendant but it's useful to have something waterproof.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 09:30 PM

The main argument against sharing information is the security of the data.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The main argument against sharing information is the security of the data.
Oh how very true. Has anyone checked the small print about data privacy on the "we want you to share your data" form??? No? Then you should! Chances are the information is being SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

Remember getting a new electoral register form a few years ago? There was a very tiny box with extremely small print writing, telling you to tick the box if you didn't want your details "passed" on! (euphemism for selling your personal details!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top