Join for free
Page 5 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Please note that I'm not anti-Scottish either. One of my granddads was a Scot.
Point taken Judd. My wife is English and bigger than me!
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I want free of both Westminster and the EU. If we get free of Westminster and the SNP think they can just take us back into the EU then they will be digging their own grave. A hell of a lot of Scots feel that way.
Obviously, I’m a remainder but it’s a contentious issue in Scotland too. It would be nice to be able to make our own minds up tho. Hope the EU doesn’t damage the independence cause, that fear, I believe, explains Nicola Sturgeon being cautious in calling for another referendum at this time. Let’s rid ourselves of Westminster first and take it from there.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

22-08-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
As an Englishman living in Scotland I can honestly say that the vast majority of Scots are anti-Westminster and not anti-English

However, there are elements within Scottish Nationalism that are happy to blur those lines.

The narrative from Holyrood is that of an embattled culture struggling under the domination of it's larger neighbour.

The truth is Scottish folk have absolutely no barriers to expressing and promoting their Scottish roots and traditions and would probably find this less so under the EU who want to homogenise all European cultures and remove differences and individuality.

I could support indy for Scotland if the SNP weren't such a bunch of second rate politicians and first rate whingers.

Economically Scotland has it's issues, but that's more to do with post industrialisation and the move to a more service based economy. Scotlands infrastructure needs MASSIVE investment
Glad you feel that way, I have no time for anti-English sentiments, it’s racist and destructive. As for second rate politicians, I wouldn’t put Nicola Sturgeon and her close team in that bracket. Ruth Davidson and Patrick Harvie strike me as canny operators too, especially when you compare them to May, Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al. Agree that what passes for political discussion can put people off tho.
Well have to agree to disagree about the EU bit. Sure we can do that amicably.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't, just a vocal minority like any other section of society. My question wasn't accusatory, I was genuinely interested in why the Scots would be prepared to put up with diktats from Europe but not from Westminster? Wouldn't you just like to control your own destinies without outside interference from anyone? Rather than embrace the EU and all of it's conditions wouldn't you prefer just to trade with them like many other countries?

I think there's a relatively simple answer to that - the Scots, like me, detest the pillocks that make up the scumbag 'nasty party'.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Well Joe, this wee Highlander certainly does.....As you well know.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Weedeek, Do you know there is a Scotland Section? Feel free to join us.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=21196
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I think there's a relatively simple answer to that - the Scots, like me, detest the pillocks that make up the scumbag 'nasty party'.
I would assume that it's rule from Westminster that the Scots dislike irrespective of what colour of government sits there but with the Tories, even more so.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

22-08-2018, 12:13 PM

No it's mainly the Tories. They are hated up here.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Weedeek, Do you know there is a Scotland Section? Feel free to join us.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=21196
Sectionist.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Wrong again Uncle Joe. It was up here in Scotland that the scumbags won the last election.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-40192707

Page 5 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top